zf five speed swap- ok this ones for real ive got a hot line here

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
guys i found a partially wrecked 1990 ford f250 4x4 7.3 diesel five speed truck for a good price that i can get pretty easily.

my questions first are:

1. will the years interchange i have a 1997 f350 7.3 auto. will the stuff from the donor truck give me everything i need to swap it over?
2. what will i do about my digital speedo and the shifter on the column etc.
3. will my speedo still work? How?
4. How hard is mounting the clutch pedals etc?

5. holy crap ive gotta jump on this if i want this thing.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
  1. No, you will need a PCM from a 97 5 speed.
  2. Speedo isnt digital the odo is, just take the shift lever off.
  3. Yes.
  4. How hard? hmmmm................ it's doable but I already told you the swap is alot of labor.
  5. Jump, you want or need to get your truck fixed and if this is the route you wanna go then just do it.

Dont forget you have to blast a hole in the floor for the stick.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
guys i found a partially wrecked 1990 ford f250 4x4 7.3 diesel five speed truck for a good price that i can get pretty easily.

my questions first are:

1. will the years interchange i have a 1997 f350 7.3 auto. will the stuff from the donor truck give me everything i need to swap it over?
2. what will i do about my digital speedo and the shifter on the column etc.
3. will my speedo still work? How?
4. How hard is mounting the clutch pedals etc?

5. holy crap ive gotta jump on this if i want this thing.
1)ideally if you want a no-brainer, your best bet is a 92-97OBS chassis.
with the '90, you will still need a pedal & bracket assy ($150) and a clutch master cylinder. oh yea, a psd brain too.
2)your speedo does not take any inputs off the trans. it is done off the rear end. the prndl indicator is unboltable and you tape over the remaining hole. The shifter is unboltable once you drop the column. ford made this one easy for once(OBS and '99+ only)
3)see the previous answer
4)see the answer to #1)
5)what kind of $$$ are we talking about?

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so if i get say a 1993 donor truck, ill still need a 97 5 speed brain?

the truck is 1000.00 bucks

how many labor hours we talking here?

or i could get all the parts i need of a donor 1993 f350 idi five speed 4x4. Would that make it better/ easier? If so why?

why do i need a 97 psd 5 speed brain again? How much are those gonna set me back?

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so if i get say a 1993 donor truck, ill still need a 97 5 speed brain?

the truck is 1000.00 bucks

how many labor hours we talking here?

or i could get all the parts i need of a donor 1993 f350 idi five speed 4x4. Would that make it better/ easier? If so why?

why do i need a 97 psd 5 speed brain again? How much are those gonna set me back?
idi's....no brain no pain....;Sweet
psd's....no proper brain inputs....no workie:dunno
when you yank out the auto trans, there's a whole bunch of sensor parameters that are lost. the brain will have major issues. with the 5spd brain for the psd, those inputs are programed out. get it?

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
right.

were the heck am i gonna find a five speed pcm that works that wont bankrupt me though.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so does it positively have to be from a 1997?

what about one for a 1994-1995 powerstroke?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you get a 92-93 idi for the 5 speed all yo will need is the ecm like was already said.any 94.5-97 PSD ecm will work fine.if you can get a truck for a 1000 bux SNATCH IT UP!!!!!! as long as its a diesel you will have everything needed but the ecm.and i believe the ecm isnt a big deal either.id have to check with a friend on that as i know he did it to a psd before and i think he left the atomoatic ecm in it and it was fine.as for the hole in the floor,pull p your carpet and remove the cover plates from both trcks and put the 5 speed cover in yours.

hors to do it?really depends on yor mechanical knowledge.i had mine done in a total of abot 4 hours over 3 days as i had to hunt down my pedals and stuff in the junkyards.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what about my factory cruise control etc, clutch interlock and mostly the cruse working correctly.

i want to have to push the clutch down to start it.

I want the cruise to still work correct so when i push the clutch in or hit the brakes it shuts off etc.

please check and see if the 1994-1995 psd pcm will work.

is there gonna be a bunch of wiring im going to be missing need for the five speed's stuff or?

because ive located a pcm but not the associated wiring if there is any that wont already be there from my auto?

Last edited:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the 94-95 ecm will work fine.only difference will be some minor things like the glow plugs comeing on every time you start the truck even at operating temps.things that you wont notice.do you have a chip?contact whoever yo got it from if you have one.i THINK(dont quote me on it)they can program it for your year truck with a 5 speed wich i also believe will over write the programs on the ecm so you may not need a new ecm.somebody may know abot that than i do and will chime in im sure.there will be some extra wiring due to the atomatic.somebody else will have to tell you how to make the clutch safety switch work.when i did mine i didnt care about that nonsence.mine will start in gear and i have to tap the brake pedal to shut the cruise off.i like my standards to start in gear so if i ever lose the clutch i can start and stop in gear to baby it home.you can contact my friend ill pm you with his email.i believe he has done the conversion on a psd.he is also the type that wants everything to work properly.i think he may even have an ecm that will work in your truck.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what is the deal with the 6 speed then? If you can bolt a ZF5 to a PSD, how come you can't bolt a ZF6 to an IDI? Sorry, I know it's unrelated to your current thread, but I want to make sure we are not overlooking the obvious here, that a ZF of one kind or another will bolt to your PSD. That, and I'll learn something that I didn't know.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mel go over and check with the SDD guys.i believe the splines on the input shaft is different but i could be wrong.i think somebody has either tried to do it or has done it so they should be able to tell you whats needed.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what is the deal with the 6 speed then? If you can bolt a ZF5 to a PSD, how come you can't bolt a ZF6 to an IDI? Sorry, I know it's unrelated to your current thread, but I want to make sure we are not overlooking the obvious here, that a ZF of one kind or another will bolt to your PSD. That, and I'll learn something that I didn't know.
mel-
it's got more to do with the clutch and flywheel issues than anything else. My work F450 is a PSD but has a IDI ZF bolted to it. they're cheaper and more plentiful. How can you tell which one it is? external slave cyl vs. internal slave cyl....

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
calvin:

the zf6 is the one with the internal slave isnt it?i had a 96 f350 psd,zf5 here that was wrecked and it had an external slave just like the idi.:dunno

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sweet.

so the only thing it wont do is shut the cruise off with the clutch then, but i just have to hit the brake instead? Will my cruise still work?

Is there even any wiring that goes to/ with the zf five speed besides the clutch interlock?