zf five speed swap- ok this ones for real ive got a hot line here

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think but not sure you can have it reprogrammed for the zf.contact either dptuner or tony wildman( twildman@***.net )

for all the electrical stuff to work without a chip or reprogramming you will need all the wireing from the main harness connector to the transfer case out of a psd 5 speed truck.

but if your that worried about the idle controller id just put a chip in it with a high idle program.like i said unless you are running an air compressor or something i wouldnt bother with it.a daily driver truck doesnt need it.the clutch switch i wouldnt bother with either.i like them to be able to crank in gear cuz if the truck dies and wont restart you can put it in gear and crank it over to get it off the road or something so it dont block traffic and have the cops tow it on you.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so instead of getting all the wiring i can have my e4od pcm reflashed, or is that getting the zf5 pcm reflashed then i wont have to find all that wiring?

So if i got which ever one of the needed pcms reflashed all my cruise etc etc would work right and the idle controller? Or everything except the idle controller?

What do i tell the people to reflash my computer to a 1997 zf five speed program?

the reason i ask is because i use the idle controller to help out when i use my mile marker hydraulic winch that runs off the power steering.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for the reflash if it can be done you will have your auto pcm reflashed with zf programming.if that can be done you wont need another pcm.but you wont need it flashed if you have or buy a chip.the chips programs will overwrite your pcms programs.you will still need the transmission harness from a 5 speed truck.the wiring from an idi truck may work,might just have to splice a psd connector onto the idi harness so that it will plug right into the connector on the inner fender.dont need to mess with the dash wireing or anything.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the links dont work.

but the harness will take care of all your problems with a 5 speed pcm.then everything will work correctly like it should.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the links were to parts america and they were for remand computers/ ecm/pcm

i cant get them in a day for 200 bucks one year warranty.

this five speed harness for a psd were would i even get this? just the tranny harness right? nothing else but the tranny harness, and of course the needed pcm/ ecm or whatever its called.

What would the difference be between that and the idi? Arent they the same tranny?

What would that tell it other than the clutch interlock?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the links were to parts america and they were for remand computers/ ecm/pcm

i cant get them in a day for 200 bucks one year warranty.

this five speed harness for a psd were would i even get this? just the tranny harness right? nothing else but the tranny harness, and of course the needed pcm/ ecm or whatever its called.

you might find it in a junkyard,ebay,craiglist,the classified here or on www.superdutydiesel.com

What would the difference be between that and the idi? Arent they the same tranny?

yes the tranny is the same but the connector on the harness where it plugs into the main harnes may or may not be different.

What would that tell it other than the clutch interlock?

everything you are worried about working should work.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so let me get this straight.

things i need to make it work 100% factory like.

1. psd five speed pcm or is it the ecm?
2. zf five speed psd tranny harness.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pcm and ecm are the same thing,they are both the computer just different names.ecm= engine control module,pcm=powertrain control module,they are one in the same.

but yes and yes

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so rich tell me about the ecm you may have.

got a harness by chance also?

hey by the way how can i change my avatar to put a pic of my truck in there? ya know the thing to the left with the arrow and target.

Last edited:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont have the harness.i may have the pcm but not sure if i removed it before i junked the truck.but it was a 97 psd with a zf5 in it.ill look in my truck this weekend when i put a window in it and see if i did grab it.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that would be ideal the find a federal emissions 97 psd zf five.

Dont you own a junk yard or something of that nature?

Can you get me the harness? Everyone around here has wrecked autos.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my friend owns a tow company.so i get free pick of all the junks that come in.plus i personally know the owners of all the junkyards around so i get great deals on parts.i own a tow company as well.

finding diesel parts is hard as people dont scrap them till they are totally junk and have nothing good left on them.and in that condition the yards just crush them.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well if you would see if you can get one from where you live and if so ill pay you for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online