Need help with ignition and reverse lights, ZF-5 swap

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I already have another thread started about my swap but what I am looking for is buried in it. My truck is a 1994 7.3 that came with an auto trans. I have swapped this truck to a zf-5, and I kept the auto steering column. When I turn the key the glow plugs cycle and everything else is on, but the starter will not kick when I turn the key. I can turn the key to the on position and jump the starter solenoid and I can start the truck that way. I have tried jumping a few wires on the factory auto connectors but I cannot figure out how to get it to start with the key. I am putting in a push button start just for now but I would like the key to work. Any help with this? My second thing is the reverse lights. I ordered a pig tail for the zf-5 back up light switch, how do you all wire it? I was hoping I could use wires on one of the existing auto harnesses. Thanks for any advice or help.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Search the forum. Try "zf5 swap wiring." Or even into that to Google.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
I tried that search here and I did not see anything useful. I’ll try google. Here is a pic I found posted here and I thought this would solve my issues but that has not been the case yet. I am using a paper clip to tie wires together but I cannot get the reverse lights to come on or the truck to crank with the key. *edit* I have the top right picture and the bottom picture plugs on my truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my earlier truck, I pulled the tranny/transfer case harness from the donor and it plugged right into my truck where the auto harness was. There was a plug under the brake booster that the harness plugged into. On my earlier truck the two wires to the starter solenoid where both red/lightblue. In the auto harness these two wires ran all the way to the neutral safety. I noticed on the manual trans harness, right after the plug these two wires were jumped together by the factory.

I looked at your wiring plug diagrams, and noticed they still use a red/lightblue for the starter solenoid, but they changed the wire from the ignition switch to a white/pink. It looks to me if you twist these two wires together it will crank over.

Another problem I ran into, I too kept the auto column. But I had to go out under the hood and take a piece of wire and tie up the little tranny lever sticking out of the column in the up position. If I didn't do this, the shifter would fall down into gear and then the column would not let me turn the key all the way off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726