zf five speed swap- ok this ones for real ive got a hot line here

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if there is any one who wants the trucks or info ive aquired in this long process.

My builder is letting me makes payments on the tranny so i am just building that. So in turn if some one wants a pcm complete trucks etc etc let me know.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
so it stops like that?! nooo! i was reading up as my friend and i are about to undertake this swap on a '95! his T/C started slipping and has been heating up the trans bad. anyboy have any further instructions? i heard the new pedals are a PITA to install. :dunno

-Jon cookoo

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry buddy. Real cost of the swap for me would have been cheaper than most but its the labor and all the bs stuff involved in the process that would have bothered me to death.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
sorry buddy. Real cost of the swap for me would have been cheaper than most but its the labor and all the bs stuff involved in the process that would have bothered me to death.

got u there, sucks when u can't do it urself...:dunno

-Jon

P.S some good info so far...;Sweet

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wanted mine to work like factory and such and it would have been a PITA to make it so etc.

So i just had a built auto put in.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
so pretty much our best bet is to find a parts truck eh?and the ZF is set up either 2WD or 4x4, and won't interchange right?

we'll need:
4X4 ZF5
SMF kit
clutch pedal assembly
stick shift PCM or...will it run fine with the auto PCM???
whatever crossmembers are needed

is the ZF5 longer or shorter than the E4OD, will we need driveshafts too? am i missing anything here???:dunno

Thanks,
-Jon

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
need the five speed pcm to make it work right.

diesel 4x4 tranny or whats called an f-superduty tranny. they were basically the early f450s.

Parts trucks are the best. Especially 1993 or newer.

Do it right the first time and it will kick but! But skimp on something important and ouch.

check the zf for cracking around the case etc and check the bearing races if you can. Ive had problems with those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online