ZF 6

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
someone please refresh my memory on weather or not a ZF6 speed will work in these trucks.

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where can I read about it, I'm to lazy to try to look it up myself. What kind of fabrication?

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I just mentioned it on another thread, go onto youtube and look up cummins 10 speed conversion. I believe its a Roadranger RTO610. You would probably need an sae bellhousing adapter and use a divorced transfercase in 4wd trucks. Talk about towing power!! IDI motors probably would sound great.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe if you take the Ford adapter off the idi, you end up with a sae 3 bellhousing.

I have also heard if you use the 6 speed, you have to use the later model transfer case also, since after all these years they changed the output shaft diameter of the tranny and the input of the transfer case.

And when you install this combo, you have no way of running a speedometer cable. The later models have electronic speedos.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its pointless, you only gain a crawler gear

That is something these trucks sorely need. I stopped on a hill with my Jeep in tow behind the old mans truck and thought I was gonna hurt the clutch getting it moving again. How anyone tows heavy with a manual IDI I"ll never know.
Travis..

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Certain model years of trucks equipped with the T-19B had a crawler gear. That's how you do it. LOL

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I just mentioned it on another thread, go onto youtube and look up cummins 10 speed conversion. I believe its a Roadranger RTO610. You would probably need an sae bellhousing adapter and use a divorced transfercase in 4wd trucks. Talk about towing power!! IDI motors probably would sound great.

A twin countershaft tranny would be too heavy and eat up too much torque in one of these things. When I was researching brownie applications, I really wanted an air shift box and couldn't find any except the 1241 boxes still in circulation and those are twin countershaft and found that the things wouldn't work behind our engines.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
That is something these trucks sorely need. I stopped on a hill with my Jeep in tow behind the old mans truck and thought I was gonna hurt the clutch getting it moving again. How anyone tows heavy with a manual IDI I"ll never know.
Travis..

I don't have any trouble getting heavy loads going, then again, I have about 4 gears below 1st :sly

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Travis..

you put it in 4 lo:sly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat