ZF-6 behind an IDI

tractorman86

Reaction score
so from every tragidy comes a silver lining, some remember back in july when i tried to kill myself with my dad's 7.3/6-speed superdukey, right?:angel: well he told me the other day that he was going to part it out, so having the oppertune time i asked about the 6-speed and gooseneck hitch... it is a go!!!:D i also have an np205:D i can't wait!!!

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it takes some work.. i remember on tds a guy did it and he said it wasn't a direct bolt on.. u had to do some fabrication.. but i don't remember what all he had to do to get it hooked up.

Metalmacguyver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is the 6th gear in those trannys? Is it a second overdrive gear? If so is it between 4th and 5th or after 5th as far as the ratio is concerned?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it takes some work.. i remember on tds a guy did it and he said it wasn't a direct bolt on.. u had to do some fabrication.. but i don't remember what all he had to do to get it hooked up.

That's what I thought too - well, he'll have fun, that's for sure

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
You wont have a speedo though...unless you can rig up the speedometer. The ZF-6 doesnt have a speedo gear in the tail housing but instead it picks it up electronically from the axle housing.

Other than that I heard it was a bolt in swap.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
coming off of a 7.3 it should share the same bellhousing bolt pattern at the very least.not sure about the clutch and hydraulic parts though.

tractorman86

Reaction score
from what i've heard from (bigredtruck?) i think who did the swap the bolt pattern is almost the same just wider on the top two bolts on the 6, and you have to use a psd clutch and a solid flywheel redrilled for the clutch, and of course a new crossmember. i'm not too worried about the speedo, i havn't had a working one for about 2 years LOL. IIRC the "6th" gear is just taller than our 5th but the 1st gear is lower than our 4 and 5 speeds.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Jaybee" is the guy you need to search for. Do keep in mind, he's a automotive engineer with some serious custom fab skills and has the facilities to do so. the final gear on a ZF6 is almost the same as a ZF5. the difference is a finer split between 3, 4 and 5. very handy for towing heavy, almost totally worthless running empty.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To run the ZF6, you need to run it's transfer case too, it has a larger output shaft than the older trucks do. So, that NP205 is pretty much useless to you.

tractorman86

Reaction score
thanks for the name calvin, i do know it will be a BIG undertaking but i think the outcome would be well worth the effort. i'll let you know when i do it kevin, maybe i'll even sell ya the southbend clutch with it.
It is a divorced 205 so i can have a custom intermediate shaft made, i'll have to have one made anyway.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
A friend of mine put a 6spd behind the PSD in his 96 F350 dually 4x4....Not as much work as an IDI but it still took some fabrication. Then his buddy borrowed the truck, a trans cooler line took a dump while driving and the trans is now seized solid.:eek::puke:...They are extremely hard to find used if something happens to them.:rolleyes:....His truck has been sitting for a year now as he doesn't have the dough to buy a reman 6spd.