KansasIDI’s 1986 Ford F250HD 7.3L IDI

Reggie f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has been doing this too. Since I'm at an oil change I poured in a can of seafoam to see if it would make a difference. It was randomly ticking warm and sometimes cold and could be rough running at times. I have put about 100 miles on it now and it seems to have cleared up so I'm going to change it now and see how it does.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might give SeaFoam a try. The ticking is inconsistent. Never does it cold, only when warm, but not all the time… may have to tear down to replace lifters… but SeaFoam can’t hurt.

@Reggie f250
Did the ticking stay away after the oil change?

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, ever since I went through the engine in this truck, it has always consumed about a quart of oil, and then no more. Top it off, and it’ll eat a quart, then stop. I have a road draft tube, and light blowby.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If it doesn't use any more by the time for an oil change, I wouldn't worry about it.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a gasser truck that used 1 quart of oil but no more after the quart. I did nothing after the quart was gone. Ran great for years.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@IDIBRONCO
How much snow did you get out your way? Seems that most major roads in the western half of Kansas are closed.

Got over a foot here, with ice beneath. And lots of wind so huge drifts…

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
@IDIBRONCO
How much snow did you get out your way? Seems that most major roads in the western half of Kansas are closed.
It's hard to tell. Between the horrible winds and the fact that at least half of what fell yesterday morning melted, I have absolutely no guess. They were calling for 3-5 yesterday and another 1-3 last night. I'd bet that we got all of that. I didn't even attempt to go anywhere yesterday except to work and back home. I haven't heard about any road closings right around me, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was some. I made some rounds tonight to do a few errands and top off my rear tank to get some anti-gel circulated though my entire fuel system before the cold snap this coming weekend. There was some plow trucks still going after dark, but all I saw was the putting down some truck rot (salt) on the highways and trying to remove some slush. Everything was frozen again by the time that I got home at 8:00. The county blacktop right north of town was still snow packed but easy enough to drive on at 40-45 MPH. I answered the phone at work about 1:30 today. That guy said that he was from Kansas City and there was still a blizzard there. The sun was shining and there wasn't much wind here by that time. I think that more snow fell along the interstate south of me. I'm pretty close to Nebraska.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I just saw a post on FB from a friend who lives in Hays. He said that it took 2 1/2 hours to clear his sidewalk and driveway with a shovel. They had waist high snow drifts there. I did hear on the radio that Hays was going to start plowing some of the streets at 10:00 tonight. I had a drift outside of my garage that was knee deep. 2 locked in hubs, a little momentum, and a 2nd gear start and that drift barely slowed my truck down.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just saw a post on FB from a friend who lives in Hays. He said that it took 2 1/2 hours to clear his sidewalk and driveway with a shovel. They had waist high snow drifts there. I did hear on the radio that Hays was going to start plowing some of the streets at 10:00 tonight. I had a drift outside of my garage that was knee deep. 2 locked in hubs, a little momentum, and a 2nd gear start and that drift barely slowed my truck down.
Waist high drift in front of my shed, I just put the ol’ 91 service truck in reverse, popped the clutch and went right through. Drove around the farm with no issue. Limited slip, and weight in the back, makes a huge difference. Got the 4WD Honda Rancher stuck twice in the farm yard. And countless times checking cows… should have taken the service truck? Lol probably not…

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if something like this could be used to control the high idle solenoid...
You must be registered for see images attach

I know it's for Powerstrokes, but I still wonder if it could be made to work with some modification... maybe have one of the buttons control cold idle advance too...

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I have one of those for my dad's rv, it directly talks to the powerstroke ecm to control it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.