1986 F250 6.9 belt change

Reno Lamb

Reaction score
My innermost belt threw, leaving no alternator or power brakes. So I bought all four belts and started the job tonight.

Alternator and vacuum pump are easy. But the AC compressor is not. I have all bolts loose and the ones that slide in slots are slid as far as they will go. Yes I used the 1/2" ratchet opening. But the old belt is still not loose enough to slip off. And it got late. So tomorrow I could

a) force it, roll it off a pulley with a tool, roll the new one back on, at the risk of damaging it
or
b) loosen up the compressor bolts more fully off its mounts so it moves more freely

Anybody been there done that recently? Which method is best?

Reno Lamb

Reaction score
Welp, I removed the bolts from the sliding adjuster slots and that did the trick.

So if you are reading this in the future, just pull the AC compressor slider bolts out all the way and force the belt waaaay loose with the 1/2" drive socket on the casting.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welp, I removed the bolts from the sliding adjuster slots and that did the trick.

So if you are reading this in the future, just pull the AC compressor slider bolts out all the way and force the belt waaaay loose with the 1/2" drive socket on the casting.
It took me TWO YEARS to figure out the 1/2” drive hole was on the ac bracket too it was just full of grease, you could imagine how loose my belt was