Yet another E4OD question/thread.....sorry

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've got a Ford reman tranny (works fine and still under warranty), and I'm looking for firmer shifts and longevity. I tow a 10k 5r. I just ordered a bigger tranny cooler to keep it cool. I've researched, and have almost sold myself on the Transgo Tugger shift kit. But, I've also talked to a couple of tranny guys that say not to do anything to the tranny (just run it) because the extra pressure that a shift kit provides adds stress to the tranny that it isn't designed for. I'm not looking to spend the $$ on a billet converter, or super upgrades. I just seems that the Tugger kit ($100) addresses the fixes that I'm looking for.

Any thoughts? :dunno

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
So I've got a Ford reman tranny (works fine and still under warranty), and I'm looking for firmer shifts and longevity. I tow a 10k 5r. I just ordered a bigger tranny cooler to keep it cool. I've researched, and have almost sold myself on the Transgo Tugger shift kit. But, I've also talked to a couple of tranny guys that say not to do anything to the tranny (just run it) because the extra pressure that a shift kit provides adds stress to the tranny that it isn't designed for. I'm not looking to spend the $$ on a billet converter, or super upgrades. I just seems that the Tugger kit ($100) addresses the fixes that I'm looking for.

Any thoughts? :dunno

Go for the Tugger kit :thumbsup:. Extra pressure will not hurt the tranny;Really.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Extra pressure can hurt the transmission if you go too far. I generally prefer shift kits that open or add orifice holes to allow faster shift times instead of just forcing fluid to flow faster through the smaller factory passages by increasing the pressure. Higher line pressure can cause side loading of some of the valves and over time can cause them to stick causing all sorts of problems. This is why I don't like the electronic line pressure risers like banks trans command. Higher line pressure will also generate heat of its own, even if less is being made from the clutches.

Most shops seem to like the transgo shift kits and I've been impressed with the ones I've seen as well.

I'm not sure, but I think the tugger kit requires partial teardown of the transmission to use all of the updates/corrections. Simple valve body recalibration however can be done with the tranny in the truck.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Tugger kit requires taking out the valve body and replacing springs and valves. I watched the install video online - looks very easy.

Fipl setting is good.

Good info, keep it coming (especially those that have that kit).
Thanks,
Foz

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Extra pressure can hurt the transmission if you go too far. I generally prefer shift kits that open or add orifice holes to allow faster shift times instead of just forcing fluid to flow faster through the smaller factory passages by increasing the pressure. Higher line pressure can cause side loading of some of the valves and over time can cause them to stick causing all sorts of problems. This is why I don't like the electronic line pressure risers like banks trans command. Higher line pressure will also generate heat of its own, even if less is being made from the clutches.

Most shops seem to like the transgo shift kits and I've been impressed with the ones I've seen as well.

I'm not sure, but I think the tugger kit requires partial teardown of the transmission to use all of the updates/corrections. Simple valve body recalibration however can be done with the tranny in the truck.

To use the entire Tugger kit. You need to remove the pump for some mods. Other parts would be the Spiral Lock snap ring for 4th clutch. The Butt Lock snap ring for the coast clutch. You don't need these parts. I would recommend using the Spiral Lock snap ring.:D

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont they make a kit thats called the (code62)kit. you have to remove the front pump out the trans to do the upgrade but it eliminates all the known probs that the e4od trans have, from torque converter slippage to better internal lubrication.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
dont they make a kit thats called the (code62)kit. you have to remove the front pump out the trans to do the upgrade but it eliminates all the known probs that the e4od trans have, from torque converter slippage to better internal lubrication.

I think there is a few kits and some loose parts from Sonnax. The two that I know is Trans Go Tugger and the Sonnax Sure Cure.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a few pump mods that most of these kits include. Replacing the aluminum valves with steel ones, and replacing the plastic orifice valve (believe it feeds the overdrive section directly behind the pump) with a steel valve that won't melt when overheated.

Ideally you would replace the whole pump with a 1995 model year pump as well and get another 15% fluid flow capacity while you are at it. Sadly, there are many things in the older E4ODs that should be improved and most of them require a teardown.

Anything you can do with the tranny still in the truck is basically just a shift kit.