Yes!! I snagged an ATS non gated turbo

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes Scott, that is the one. Thank you very much! Any opinions...use Scott's link to check it out, mine won't work for some reason...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like all of the major pieces are there, based on the pictures. No way to know for sure until you actually take a look, though.

I have the instructions for this kit here: http://www.dieselwarden.net/temp/ATS/ There are high-resolution jpg's of the assembly diagram, parts list, and written instructions. These proved invaluable when I put my turbo on.

Looks like a decent find, depending on the condition of what's there and what's missing. Also, ATS is pretty good about parts. I got a seal kit and a oil feed line (with elbows) from them in the last couple of years.

Congratulations! FWIW, my only issue with my turbo is that it doesn't put out too much boost (less than 3 psi) unless I'm at high RPM's and high EGT's. I may have a leak somewhere, or my turbo could be worn, or maybe it's just how non-gated units are.

Also, getting the downpipe to seal is a cast-iron PITA, especially if you do the rest of your exhaust like mine is now (with nothing attached to the downpipe, so the bracket onto the manifold's the only thing holding it up :shocked: ). Muffler putty may help; I wish I had known what the stuff was when I first did it. On a similar note, unless the downpipe slides easily into the exhaust side of the snailshell, I would recommend using a wire wheel to get rid of any excess buildup on the snailshell side (and, test-fit the downpipe in before putting the turbo in the truck :) ). When installing the downpipe, I went so far as to stick the downpipe in a freezer for a while to try and get it to contract enough to go in. It really fought me tooth and nail...I would say that was the most difficult part of the entire installation.

Hope this helps a bit...good luck!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tim! That is exactly what I needed. I'll be very happy with justa couple of pounds of air from the turbo unless its working real hard. I think that's just how they are. What kind of EGTs are you seeing with this setup? How much is your fuel turned up? Thanks

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
diesel jd, I have the same turbo.
I get a bit more than 3psi, but my cruising rpms are 2800-3000 and my truck always has at least 1k lbs of tools in it.
with brand new injectors and a rebuilt turbo pump egts are 600 or so at cruising speed. With mine the truck is fast as hell, but the egts climb fast.

you're only a hundred miles away from me. If you want, I'd be happy to help you get it installed.
ohh, and definatly get the seal/oring kit from ats, and you might as well get a new hose from the valve cover to the cdr/air intake. Mine has only been on for 30-40k miles and I can't imagine being able to reuse it if I removed it.

later
Drew

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well thanks for the offer, Drew, I just might take you up on it. ATS is saying they no longer have ANY parts for this turbo, so I'm probably going to have to round up the little odds and ends at the hardware/auto parts store. At any rate, its not being installed until Christams break. School is taking up too much of my attention to have the truck down for who knows how long, plus I don't have the unit in my hot hands yet, but thanks. I'll keep you posted,
J.D.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
keep asking them about the seal/oring kit.... I bought it just 11months ago, I can't imagine they ran out since then.

ohh and as far as getting it installed, it took me 7-8hours. I didn't bother with anything other than a downpipe for a few weeks.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my Two cents:

I have found the down pipe is easiest installed if you take the rear tranny support out and lower the tranny/motor a little, it does not take much but it will save you a world of trouble. :D

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it comes with the turbo tranny dipstick tube or not...but I doubt it. Drew, do you by any chance remember the part # for the seal and O-ring kit? As soon as you say non wastegated turbo they say obsolete. I wonder if the seals adn or0ings are teh same or different as the newer wastegated kits? Failing beinga ble to get said seals and orings from ATS are there any other sources that i could use? Thanks for all the advice. I have NO idea what I am doing with a turbo so I welcome any and all advice,
J.D.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey diesel jd,
there should be an o-ring house somewhere near you, if not go to a hydraulic rebuild shop and they will know where to go. Try to get the brown colored orings, they are more heat resistant. hey the light came on, try a heavy equipment dealer, Cat or JD they should have some "bench stock" oring assortment to dig thru, cat yellow rings are very good,, high temp, I have put in hundreds of them. as long as they fit the groove and stick up above the surface a little for crush you will get a good seal.
good luck
russ

Heu has the guy shipped it yet? It is only 80 miles from me, I could inspect it for you and gather orings and seals if you like.
The adapter looks exactly like the ats I put on I bet the seals and rings are the same.

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks typ4, I wondered if those guys might could assist me. i ahve a good working relationship with the local CAT dealer.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They will hook you up or send you to the right source. Have fun