Air shift brownie on ebay

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One other question that creeps in my mind is whether or not you could use a 2wd transmission, install the brownie, then unstall a divorced NP205 or similar transfer case so the gears would be useable in 4wd. The Front D shaft may need a carrier bearing at that point.LOL With 4:10's, NP205 and the diesel ZF5, you would have a crawl ratio of 78:1. If you could divorce mount a 1356 with its 2.72:1 low range, you would get 110:1 final reduction ratio.:eek:

I would plan on mounting the Brownie where the rear carrier bearing goes like Robert did and keeping the brownie in 1:1 for 4wd duties. The divorced T-case behind the Brownie would be the ultimate though.:sly
Quit giving me ideas my wallet can't tolerate :backoff :rotflmao

Seriously, that would be a very sweet setup IMHO ;Sweet

It's probably a good thing that box is on the East Coast with no shipping...otherwise I'd be sorely tempted...

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Just talked to the guy, he has the shift knob.

Seriously considering this. Could i tuck it mounted off the rear instead of off the transfer case to reduce the amount of weight I have 'hanging' off the transmission? And I could angle it to match the angle needed easier?

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
That would land me 9 usable forward gears I could actuall keep up with while driving and not repeat any ratios, and split from a 26.67:1 final drive to a 2.37:1 final drive

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
One other question that creeps in my mind is whether or not you could use a 2wd transmission, install the brownie, then unstall a divorced NP205 or similar transfer case so the gears would be useable in 4wd. The Front D shaft may need a carrier bearing at that point.LOL With 4:10's, NP205 and the diesel ZF5, you would have a crawl ratio of 78:1. If you could divorce mount a 1356 with its 2.72:1 low range, you would get 110:1 final reduction ratio.:eek:

I would plan on mounting the Brownie where the rear carrier bearing goes like Robert did and keeping the brownie in 1:1 for 4wd duties. The divorced T-case behind the Brownie would be the ultimate though.:sly

Oh yes, they can be stacked in any configuration. It wasnt uncommon on short log rigs to see two brownies stacked nose to tail . One with a deep reduction and one that just had 4 evenly split gears. You want to talk about something that could climb trees.
As long as you can fit it in, you can make it work,and yes, the final drive ration of a divorced Tcase behind a brownie would be insanem and if its a spicer tcase, you can get couplers to direct mount the boxes. Spicer had the good sense to standardize everything they made, if you have the patience to pour over endless old catalogues to find the part numbers by dimension. Thankfully they used very few different spline count shafts

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Just talked to the guy, he has the shift knob.

Seriously considering this. Could i tuck it mounted off the rear instead of off the transfer case to reduce the amount of weight I have 'hanging' off the transmission? And I could angle it to match the angle needed easier?

AS mentioned, you could mount in any position, Mine is mounted back under the bed closer to the diff than anything else, and yes, you can angle the box to take up part of the driveshaft angle, in fact, when I was building my mount, I used that as part of my design. I had a few inches up and down adjustment all the way around and I used that to fine tune the driveshaft angles for vibration.
The initial install had it pointed down slightly in the rear and there was still a slight vibration, and I found it due to the front shaft being too straight, so I raised the front of the brownie a tad ( maybe 1/4" ) to increase the angle on the front joint and that got rid of the vibration

I have full instructions for plumbing a shifter for one of those things.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This would work well in my 93 C3500. Crewcab long box 2wd gives plenty of room and I could set it back far enough that when/if I throw a NV4500 or zf6 in it I only need to swap center shafts, or i could have some sort of slip yoke built in.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Front tank has been MIA the whole time I'vemhad the truck.
Baumann Controllers do wonders for E4OD's.

Need to find an air compressor.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Crunching numbers and they're leaning to yes. Only thing keeping me on the fence is driveshaft length and angle issues.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Yea, I misread that, you wouldnt want to hang the thing right off teh diff itself, you need a shaft in between., but it doesnt have to be overly long, depending on how long your cab is, you have to keep in mind maximum single shaft lengths. Uou can make a really short shaft, but then you get into the expense of a two piece shaft on the other end. My rear shaft is fairly short and my front is right at the maximum for a single, and the bullder was not at all comfortable building it considering teh torque involved, so he built that thing stout enough for a friggen semi, so there is ZERO flex or chance of twist in that thing , It really helps to have a shaft builder who knows his stuff.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Crunching numbers and they're leaning to yes. Only thing keeping me on the fence is driveshaft length and angle issues.

Not to bring back a thread from the dead but this air shift brownie has been haunting be. Did you wid up getting this thing? I wonder if the seller still has it?

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Not to bring back a thread from the dead but this air shift brownie has been haunting be. Did you wid up getting this thing? I wonder if the seller still has it?

No, I actually got a T19 and ranger in the shop outside, looking to find a doug nash or us gear to couple to the other side of the trans, then I'll go pick up an np435 and still deciding on a gear drive married transfer case for this thing.

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so how would you install that to the zf5 a short shaft connecting them bracket to hold in place and a completely different rearshaft ???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel