wooo!

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
After several years, I finally got to get behind the wheel of an IDI again last night. It is a buddy's 93 F250 factory turbo with a 5-speed. It's been sitting for about 4 years waiting for a rebuild at 480K miles. He finally got it done and we tested her out. Took a while to get it to start, but it finally did, and boy did it smoke. No blue or white thank heavens, just tons of black smoke. Had good power, took a minute to get used to driving clutch on a diesel again though. Damn that stock turbo whistled pretty good. Much better than on his 02 Powersmoke. We even drove past some honda convention where about 3 dozen identical Honda S2000's were located and smoked em out just by driving past. Then we had our tailgate randomly fall off, so we picked it up, threw it in the bed, and kept going for about 15 more minutes. Got back to the shop, parked it, and i turned off the key and the motor kept going. It wasn't reving up or anything, just idling, wouldn't shut off. I finally just threw it in 5th and popped the clutch, and that stalled it. I'm thinking that the FSS is gone south, but i'm not sure. Anywho, it was fun, and i'm hoping to buy it from him once he gets the bugs worked out.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
From what you posted about all the black smoke and it wouldn't turn off leads me to think the injection pump is going bad or has already gone bad....:dunno

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah if it continued to smoke like that...it would likely be a timing problem or a bad injector pump. Usually the no shutoff is a FSS. If you can get a junk pump out of a boneyard you can fix that, but be careful! Have a clipboard or something to clap over that intake to stall her if she tries to run away. Something that won't get sucked in the intake, I'd hate to see you be rebuilding it again. Sassyrel says you can use the FSS from a 5.7 injector pump as well...I wonder if they might all be compatible from any DB2 or Roosamaster pump. That won't help with the smoke...of course that could be from your old crappy fuel or just assembly lube, setting up...rings trying to seat etc. etc. The question is did it continue or just a ton of smoke for the first few minutes...AND is the fuel screw turned way up for that turbo?

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I'm not really sure about any of the settings on this truck. I've never worked on it or anything but drive it. After comparing it to other trucks, the smoke really isn't too bad. light to none when idling, but when you stomp on it, it gives off a nice healthy cloud. It's running a little rough now, but i can pretty much narrow that down to air in the lines, seeing as there is a slight fuel leak as the line reaches the motor. Once that gets fixed it should run better. It usually takes a while to get it to start after it sits for as much as 5 minutes, but anything less than that and it usually turns right over and starts. It's still a bit of a project truck though, when it comes to non-powertrain things. The door panels are falling apart, the hood doesn't latch all the way, the tailgate doesn't stay on, and the parking brake pedal is just gone. A/C works though :thumbsup:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...it has a fresh rebuild motor in it, and since its a "project" and you helped your buddy with it, maybe you can get it cheap if you really want it. At worst, a new IP is not that expensive....