won't start

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like stated above:
GPC=$80 from autozone with lifetime warranty
GP Relay=$20 from kragen or autozone
Boach glowplugs=$40 from ebay (will include all 8)

I can almost guarentee you are having issues with one or more of these items.
It will not matter if you put anti-sieze on glow plugs. The autolite tips will swell up, making it almost impossible to remove them. I can bet you will have trouble with at least half of them. If you do, be very patient and gentle when trying to remove them. If you break one off, you either remove head(s) like stated above, or you punch tip into cylinder...fire it up..and most likely damage expensive engine parts in the process.

I can just picture it now. If I can manage to get the GP out I might be convinced to try the bosch types, and try rebuilding the system. But if I break one or more off getting them out, its going to **** me off royally and I'll swear off ever using GP again. So lets just see how much torture it is getting these things out.

Last edited:

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a glow plug removal tool for stuck plugs. I'm not sure how well they work, I've never tried one. I have a 6.2 with stuck plugs.. I don't have the time to remove the heads so I am going to toss an ether kit on it for winter.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its stuck be careful with it. Ive always though twosting and pulling was better than just pulling. I also wonder if. The compression could blast it out - just use an old pan sittin over it - itll shoot out ans you dont wanna get hit vy it

Bosch glowplugs dont get along well woth a glowplug controller, setup manual contol and you wont have to spend cash on a controller, and wont burn te bosch out. 5-7 seconds is plenty. Too long and they die. Beru work fine with a controller but take longer to get hot and are more forgiving. Thats why tey work woth the controller

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any way to check the IP's timing? If it is too far off, it will be a real PITA to start....... Ask Mel and Gary........LOL They fought tooth and nail to get Gary's truck started after putting a Moose on it at the 2009 Rally. It was way advanced, so much so.......... it would not start.

May be competely off base, but just a thought.

Heath

Last edited:

superbeetle73

Reaction score
If you've replace your return lines and it was smoking and leaking still. When did you last change your injectors. Mine would leak till I got new ones

Hardass559

89 7.3 banks turbo
Reaction score
you said you got the gpc to quit all of its clicking on and off back on the first page does it click on at all now? I had the main power to mine not go thue due to a loose conection glow plugs clicked did ther thing just fine with no power going thue them so they did not work ther soposta click on and off after the wait to start light goes out so the cold moter runs smother for a few seconds at that point the cumbustion chamber is warm and it shuld run fine. starting fluid dont mix well with the glow plugs it will blow the precumbustion chambers outta the head im almost sure i have a moter with one stuck in a piston bc of the previous owner haven't goten the heads off it yet to verify that

autolite glow plugs iv run them for years with no problems with them pulled them outta my old moter put them in my new one but would not buy them again bc of the fact of when they fail they dont like to come out.

take a new starter selinoid hook power to the power side a switch to the switch post and the glow plug wire to the outher big post glond the selinoid turn it one wait ten seconds start your truck simplest way i can tel you to see if its the glow plug controler and by pass the problem

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have another thought about your hard starting. You might need to get your injectors pop tested. I once had a 90 7.3 IDI that had to be plugged in in the Texas summer time just to get it started! A rebuilt pump and injectors made it new again. If those injectors arent up to spec on the pop pressures, they will dribble and not atomize your fuel properly, and it won't start worth a plugged nickel. If by now you have figured out your gp system is working properly and it still has starting issues, pop test those injectors.....

Just my 2 cents....

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
Holy hell that was one heck of a read. First off Boston, I seem to remember this being the truck that we had RAW fuel in the exhuast and several other strange things that no one had ever heard of and you magically went above all of the experiance and opinion from members here and got her running after tinkering with the settings on the ip. Well apparently that didnt last long.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?53302-Tuning-Turning-Tweeking-the-IDI-7-3/page3

Now my best piece of advice for you is to go find someone who needs a diesel pickup and give this thing to them it will relieve you of a lot of headaches. I can not comprehend pouring 300 dollars into return line kits and still have them leaking. So to answer most every question you have posed in this thread so this post is at least a little bit helpful.

The return line kits are just as straightforeward as you have explained, lube the orings and put them on the injectors, next check the inside of the cap for trash or flashing, third pop the cap on the injector. make sure hoses are correct sizes as mentioned.

if that is what the cover looked like on that ip then yes it is shot.

if your fuel line is bulging you prob have to much fuel pressure. these trucks will run with as little as 3 psi fuel pressure, it is the volume that counts. google intellidog idi and you can find the numbers.

check return system for clogs going back to the tank.

check all glow plugs for continuity again ohm values can be found on the intellidog idi web site use only motocraft beru plugs(only ones I can reccomend with factory controller because they are the only ones i have ever used)

check all connections in the gp system clean and use electrical grease as neccesary.

an ether injection system is not worth the risk in my opinion, you still have parts to break or mess up and risk hurting the engine if someone doesnt know what they are doing with it. I have owned my idi for 6 years and have only touched the glow plug system once and all I did then was go through and test plugs and clean and grease connections

you can not weld the return ports in the injectors shut.

If you worked on the truck half as much as you posted you might have solved this problem way quicker. I am not trying to insult just trying to say that you were given multiple things to do and try that would help us diagnose and you went straight over those and moved on to reinventing the wheel.

Another thing that would seriously help us help you is to break your posts up and quit bouncing between subjects. use periods, commas, and spacing and im not trying to lecture you on correct punctuation but it does help to read your info.

Again do not take this as attacking you I am just trying to state my opinion and we all know what those are worth

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online