wont start

86ford69jw

redneck
Reaction score
2003 F250 with 7.3 wont start. Was running just fine then died going down the road. Now it wont start. Cranks fine but makes a thud from the passenger side while cranking might be the crappy starter. was told it might be the fuel pressure regulator. Problem is Ive never done one. I know where it is but it came off in pieces. turned the nut and it came off with a cap type thing and then the body came off the shaft. What do I do now?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Could it be a camshaft position sensor? I hear of similar symptoms when they fail. Im new to the strokes and learning them to,

Sorry to hear you sold your 86.....them are the best!!!

86ford69jw

redneck
Reaction score
I talked to Darrin and he said the same thing. I am very very sad the 86 is gone is was awesome. Came from Fl so no rust. I paid 1700 for it and put another 3500 in it. just couldnt aford to spend anymore. The way it went is even worse.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yeah maybe replace it, can't hurt. I have a 95 and I keep a spare in the glove box.
Don't give up on the strokes tho,,,out of the newer diesels I would choose a 7.3 stroke over anything else. They do have a few bugs that need working out like ANY ford diesel but once they are done and you are familiar with them im sure you will like it. They do run nice.

Just keep you oil clean

86ford69jw

redneck
Reaction score
Well its not my truck. Its my buddies ride and its pushing 315K he dosent keep the oil clean and beats the **** out of it. It still runs pretty good for the most part. I have been doing lots of reading on the strokes and have learnd alot. I can pretty much do a good diagnosis in just a few mins with a test light and multimeter. I still prefer the old idis i just love the sound and body styles.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Good to see another 7.3 climb over the 300k mark.. We should start a club with stickers and shirts and the whole nine yards.:sly

86ford69jw

redneck
Reaction score
Haha yeah there alot of them around. My buddies 03 and the othe is a 01 with close to 400K. That truck is tricked to the max and makes close to 700 hp.

86ford69jw

redneck
Reaction score
Waiting on the rain to let up. Its been coming down for two days now. Jsut gotta put the new flywheel in and put her back togehter.

86ford69jw

redneck
Reaction score
So we got the new flywheel and starter in along with the new cam sensor. Went to fire the truck and no fuel!! Checked the fuel pump and it wasnt coming on when the key was on. So i pulled the power wire and hooked up the jumper cables and boom there she goes. So tomm Ihave to track down the reason the power is not getting to the fuel pump. Hopefully this fixs his problems. Im geting tired of all his complaining and saying the parts store gave him the wrong stuff or it dont fit. Im also tired of doing most of the work on a truck that aint mine. DAM I MISS MY TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Hmmm thats strange. Must have bumped an electrical connection or something when doing all the other work.

Where is the electric pump on these newer strokes? mine still has the mechanical one in the valley

86ford69jw

redneck
Reaction score
It is on the frame rail just below the drivers seat. When I frist showed up he said he wasnt geting any fuel. So I pulled the pump and tested and it. It shot fuel a couple feet so we put it back in. Didnt mess with it the rest of the time. Wasnt anywhere nera what we were doing with the tranny. It will be fixed today. Hopefully this dang thing starts.

86ford69jw

redneck
Reaction score
It will be fixed today. Worse thing is I will have to put in a toggle switch but if it dosent go after that IDK where to look next.

86ford69jw

redneck
Reaction score
So I fixed the fuel pump situation and the truck still wont start. it cranks good but there is no smoke coming out of the stack and it does not sound like it is firing. Im lost. i dont ahve my tools with me so no test light and no multimeter.