Won’t turn over

Hayden simpson

Reaction score
So I go to start my 85 6.9idi and I get a positive click from the solenoid but the truck doesn’t turn over. I had both batteries tested and they are both good. I can roll start the truck quite easily. I am thinking maybe the solenoid on top of the starter?. Secondly what are the 2 solenoids on the wheel well and fender? Thanks.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The two solenoids are, the starter solenoid, and the GP solenoid. (Yours being an 85, I would assume it has the remote solenoid for the GPs.)

I know you said you get a solid click from the solenoid, but try jumpering the starter solenoid that is on the wheel well. It's easy to know which is the correct one, because it will have a large cable that goes down to the starter.

If the engine turns over, replace that solenoid. If it doesn't, replace the starter.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. You did it right. If you had the right solenoid...

If you got spark but no turnover, it is time to replace the starter.

Vern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced just the starter solenoid and that cured my issue. Starter motor was fine. I was later able to cure the old starter solenoid by cleaning up and tightening the starter primary contacts.

gandalf

Reaction score
No. You did it right. If you had the right solenoid...

If you got spark but no turnover, it is time to replace the starter.

There is another possibility here, though quite slim. Even then, I'd try it, just to rule it out, plus the fact that it would be a cheaper fix than a new starter. I'd check the continuity of all wires/cables going to the starter. I'd clean all the contacts involved. Once you've determined that all contacts are good, and all cables are good, I'd pull the starter and have it tested.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online