WMO, WVO ?

broncobilly_69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was wathcing myth busters tonight and they ran a diesel car on straight, filtered WVO ( only for about 8 miles before they stopped though) I was under the impression you had to brew it into Biodiesel. I did a search on here and see where guys are mixing 10% or so WVO and WMO into their diesel. Any drawbacks to this or anything I need to do to prep the truck? What is the max ratio you know of anybody successfully using?

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
You can run SVO/WVO in any diesel but it ain't as easy as they showed.You can't just filter and dump in the tank(unless you live at the equator or mix with Diesel).You must have a setup to heat the oil.Most setups start on regular diesel(or Bio) to warm the engine.A Coil in the Vegi tank carries Coolant that warms the oil.Once at a good warm temp(which thins out the oil) you flip over to Vegi.Before shut down you flip back to Diesel to purge the lines since when Vegi gets cool it gets thick or turns solid in cold temperatures(Well above freezing temps).

Exekiel69

Reaction score
broncobilly_69 said:
So I was wathcing myth busters tonight and they ran a diesel car on straight, filtered WVO ( only for about 8 miles before they stopped though) I was under the impression you had to brew it into Biodiesel. I did a search on here and see where guys are mixing 10% or so WVO and WMO into their diesel. Any drawbacks to this or anything I need to do to prep the truck? What is the max ratio you know of anybody successfully using?

As Freight said yes you can, I'm making wvo now too. Also you can run more than 10% wvo (not the case with wmo) some run 100% (deeproots?) and no problems, you just have to filter it well. You will need to convert the fuel system to run wvo, I did it in some 4-6hs worth of work and no problems so far.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
run up to 75% blend,
big things:

1. dewater
2. filter (at the temp the oil will be burned)
3. warm up on regular fuel, don't run or shut down strong blends on the blend tank... makes for air leaks and hard starts.

filtering at the temp you will run is most important.
Unfortunatly I'm burning mostly hydrogenated oil.... most is like pudding at 50degrees.
When I pour it in a 65gal poly tank I have, the thick stuff settles, the light stuff is on the top. For blends you can only really burn the top stuff thats really liquid at room temps. The solid stuff can be burned with heated fuel lines.
All of my oil is completely flowable at 140degrees.

blah blah
Drew