Cheapest wmo setup

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Howdy, I'm looking at selling my ranger and getting another IDI strictly for wmo use.
I plan to use it for a daily driver and work truck while my 99 is down.
Anyway, I'm wondering what the best bang for the buck is, as for burning wmo.
I know some of you guys have pretty elaborate setups, but I would like to keep this as simple as possible.
I was figuring on of course adding another fuel filter to start.
And I guess keep one tank full of straight diesel for startup and shutdown?
Does it need any kind of pre heat in the winter, or just run a thinner mix?
How are the mechanical pumps holding up to this use for you folks?
As much as I love my E pumps, I'd like to stick with mechanical in this application.
All I know is, between the parts truck (5.4), and the borrowed hemi, I'm going broke,lol. Besides the fact they aren't diesel.
I appreciate the help in advance. Thanks
Happy New Year!

Rock

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Ranger won’t suffice for your light work?

I don’t run WMO, have interest, and everyone please correct me.

WMO: centrifuge best, but settling time and good filtering ok. Pull off top, leave sludge on bottom

2 separate tanks, start/shutdown on diesel. Run all return lines to oil tank.

Mech pump more durable than e-pumps

Cut oil with 15% RUG, maybe more in PA winter. Pre-heat oil a big plus (memory says near operating temp), oh and switch when engine is warm.

Also read highway use seems to have better results than city. And save for IP/Injectors. Clean them every 30k

Rough gist, lots of details missing.

What about a BBF that gets 10-12? Due to fuel price disparity?

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t run WMO, but Like most of us I’ve considered it. I think the cheapest way to clean the WMO would be gravity-fed whole house water filters. The housings are cheap and easy to plumb, and you can buy the filters in bulk for about a dollar each. You can buy them down to 1 micron too.

Express Water – 50 Pack Sediment Water Filter Replacement – 1 Micron, High Capacity – 10 inch – Under Sink and Reverse Osmosis System Filters (Model: FLTSED0150) https://a.co/d/8CUbZk2

Black dawg

Reaction score
My setup was always, well settled oil pumped into 100 gallon transfer tank and mixed with diesel there. Pumped 50/50 from transfer tank through 2 micron filter into front tank of truck. I put the same 2 micron on the truck, mostly to see how well my process was filtering. Never had any issues with the 2 micron (on the truck)plugging, and always cut it open when I replaced it yearly.

Last edited:

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
The Ranger won’t suffice for your light work?

I don’t run WMO, have interest, and everyone please correct me.

WMO: centrifuge best, but settling time and good filtering ok. Pull off top, leave sludge on bottom

2 separate tanks, start/shutdown on diesel. Run all return lines to oil tank.

Mech pump more durable than e-pumps

Cut oil with 15% RUG, maybe more in PA winter. Pre-heat oil a big plus (memory says near operating temp), oh and switch when engine is warm.

Also read highway use seems to have better results than city. And save for IP/Injectors. Clean them every 30k

Rough gist, lots of details missing.

What about a BBF that gets 10-12? Due to fuel price disparity?
I can't tow with the ranger, and I don't want to kill it. It's a mint little truck.
You must be registered for see images attach

I really need at least a 3/4 ton. I had considered a 460 truck, and almost pulled the trigger as hard as that is to believe,lol.
But then I got to thinking about wmo.
If it is cheaper to buy an IDI and run it on wmo compared to a gasser, I'm all for that, just for the sake of a diesel.
Now that we're on the topic though, and given this truck will be used every single day until my 99 is complete, do you think a big block would be better? I am on the fence, because ultimately I would rather diesel, but when I look at the fuel prices I do indeed think twice. Beside that, I know I can get a big block truck cheaper, the trouble is there is absolutely nothing up for sale recently.
So I guess the question really is-
IDI on wmo vs 460.

Rock

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
I have a near brand new 460 if you decided to go that route. You can hear it run and drive too.

We are talking about putting a 460 in the ranger for towing right haha
Great, just what I need, another project,lol.
Trust me, if I wasn't building the SD right now, I would 460 swap it, or a little turbo diesel. I really wanted to swap out that little 3.0 ever since I've owned this thing.
But in the end, it's just a daily, no matter what I do to it, it would end up being another toy.
I have an international cub though, that could use a 460,lol
Rock

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That Ranger is a beauty!!!

Honestly in your situation, I would grab whatever comes your way in the best shape (mechanically) for the cheapest price. Since it’s an interim work pickup anyway. S/B BF, S/B BC, IDI in 3/4 or larger.

Here, with the price difference, a gas vehicle would have to get 12 mpg vs 18 in an IDI (if I did my math right)

And then do you have a WMO source ready to go.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
That Ranger is a beauty!!!

Honestly in your situation, I would grab whatever comes your way in the best shape (mechanically) for the cheapest price. Since it’s an interim work pickup anyway. S/B BF, S/B BC, IDI in 3/4 or larger.

Here, with the price difference, a gas vehicle would have to get 12 mpg vs 18 in an IDI (if I did my math right)

And then do you have a WMO source ready to go.
I'd have to cut a deal with one of the local garages I suppose. My supply will only last so long.
I'm seeing a lot of 351w trucks come up, I may check one out.
Like you said, it's not permanent anyway.
I won't be doing anything crazy with it anyway, just hauling some equipment, and cows every once in awhile. I can't take on bigger jobs until the SD is done anyway.

Rock

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 351W that treated me well in a 1978 F-100 2wd.
Hauled all our crap + my wife's car in tow from MA to OR. And then all our crap + a full U-Haul trailer from OR to UT.
I always wanted to put something better than that 2bbl carb. on it but the frame rusted out before I had a chance.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
If I lived in a place that propane was more available, I'd consider a 460 truck with an existing propane conversion.

I feel the cheapest way to do wmo is to slip it in with regular fueling. Find the sweet spot where you're not actually changing fuel filters more often that normal. They've done some real work while in service rather than just being there to catch sporadic contaminants.

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to start mixing some WMO in my truck here soon. I'm currently only running the rear tank with good diesel @4.30 a gallon. I just purchased a Racor knock off filter w/ water separator. Added a 2 micron filter they sell and bought a little low PSI fuel pump. Total was around $108 including tax. You could filter with those RO water filters but I wanted something that was designed to have fuel in it and last longer. I don't have much WMO to filter at the moment but if all goes well with what I have I will keep going with it.

I'm not sure how long this setup will actually last but if I can filter about 25 gallons it will have paid for itself. After that the skies the limit and the investment is much easier to maintain.

Last edited:

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Elkridge MD Craigslist has an 89 F350 4x4 crewcab dually 5dspd 7.3 idi with sidewinder and wrecker bed for $3000. Doesn't currently run however appears intact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
93 Farm Truck

Members online