WMO and a diesel cat

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
so does anybody have any knowlegde on how a diesel cat would react to WMO. the garage i was talking to was highly interested to hear how to run there WMO (actaully mostly ATF) in there diesels as well. thing is he had a 05 duramax and i am not really sure what to tell him is safe if anything. that is a whole other ball game in sensors and cost to gamble.

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the maxes had a dark fuel sensor? Meaning dyed fuels,wmo,atf ect ect wouldnt run in them?

Stu

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive heard running ATF in a diesel is bad news... something about friction modifiers inside the new ATF. I have yet to get a confirmed source backing this up. I would love to find out for sure... there is a tranny shop close to home I could probably get all the ATF I wanted.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Ive heard running ATF in a diesel is bad news... something about friction modifiers inside the new ATF. I have yet to get a confirmed source backing this up. I would love to find out for sure... there is a tranny shop close to home I could probably get all the ATF I wanted.

I have never heard that, but it does make sense. I know a guy who put a Cummins 4bt into a Chevy 1500 (90's style chevy). Real nice swap. He did some performance mods to it, but I cant remember. Anyways, he is the guy that long before the whole WVO, WMO, ect...talked about using that stuff. I remember talking to him, and he said he burned a 50/50 mix WMO/diesel most of the time. He also said that he has ran a 50/50 mix of ATF/diesel, but he said that EGT's were way higher with this mix, and he didnt recomend going over a 50/50 mix of ATF/diesel.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I have run a bunch of ATF through my IDI as much as 50% mix) with no problems. I actually think my truck runs best on ATF mixture, seems to make more seat of the pants power and it always starts really easy (like no difference than #2).

I would be interested in hearing the skinny on the new formulations of ATF. I know that not that long ago there was a reverse compatibility requirement for ATF that stated you could pour any brand in any auto trans without doing any damage to the trans.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be interested in hearing the skinny on the new formulations of ATF. I know that not that long ago there was a reverse compatibility requirement for ATF that stated you could pour any brand in any auto trans without doing any damage to the trans.
the only difference in atf is Type F is pretty thick... about 15w and Dex I, II,III is like 5wt... the issue was the friction modifiers in new DEX III will wear out the injector pump internals. I will do some searching.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
if it has friction modiofiers wouldent it wear the tranny out then? heck allot of the transmission is aluminum not hardened steel like our pumps.......so how does this affect the CAT?:cool

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The friction modifiers were for the clutch enguagments.... Like I said, just what I heard, no data to back this up

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No filtering at all.... personally thats crazy... Yes I too have heard of people draining the engine oil out of the engine, and pouring into the fuel tank w/o filtering.... crazy.... just crazy to me

blender

Reaction score
Yea, when I said you don't filter it at all they replied "nope been doing it for years." Need to ask how often their filter clogs and what the overhauls looked like.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice avatar Blender.... And yes Id be curious about there overhauls... Obviously a business will not allow maintenance cost to run a muck. However if they can save some fuel costs and only change filters more often, thats money wise. Would love to hear more about there findings...

blender

Reaction score
I'm going to be over there toward the end of the week and I'll poke around a bit more.

I thought that was a nice use of a tie Jim.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7