Windshield reseal?

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Anyone ever reseal their windshield? Mine is leaking pretty bad and Id like to fix it. The whole window would probably have to come out, its leaking that bad.

I'm wondering how much of a pain it is and whats all needed to do it?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine leaked decently, i just took the trim off, washed the dirt out as good as i could and gave it some waterproof sealant. Worked for me. You can see where it has separated if it has done it bad enough.

Still havent tried putting the trim back though...

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This wasn't a permanent fix but I got away with it for a year or so...

I popped all the trim off and filled that whole gap between the window and the top of the cab with blue permetex silicone in a caulking gun. I chipped the window when I was doing it and finally had to replace it before the inspection was up.

It stopped the rain from come inf inside at least. The new window was around $100

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your windshield needs to come out and be completly resealed. Its not that expensive to have done. $60-80 and a new one installed is about $100 more.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
If you decide to get a new one, make sure they use the correct part. 80-86 VIN are in a different place than the later trucks, but all windshields will fit all years, 80-97. The problem is if you need to have an inspection. If Mr. Lawman cannot read the VIN, you may have problems.

I think the glass industry part number is 904 for the early (80-86) trucks. It may be tough to find, but make sure you get the right one. And the view is so much better than the old sandblasted one you are taking off.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When I got my rig back in 1993 I had a horrible snadblasted windshield. Driving into the sun made seeing anything a mess. I finally had it replaced and sure nuf. As we had just passed the us canada border the roads changed to dirt and a hugs semi rig hauling dirt came rushing down this mess of a main road. I tried to move over as far as safely but no luck. up comes a rock that made a chip and a bullseye in the lower corner of the drivers side... Well mad as hell I was on a mission to get horses to Regina Sask Arabian Horse show so I continued on. Well a few years later I cracked that windshield one hot day when I tried to wash the truck. Heard a funny sounding snap as the water was sprayed on the glass and truck. I dealt with that for about a year and finally had it repaired too. So three windshields have been in my truck. To safely remove the trim you need a tool. I did not have said tool and bent some trim when I replaced my windshield wiper motor. Not happy bout that too. I suppose a person can seal up the leaks with RTV but doing it right is a better idea. Hopefully there is no rust eating away the truck causing the leaks too.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
....... To safely remove the trim you need a tool. I did not have said tool and bent some trim when I replaced my windshield wiper motor. Not happy bout that too. I suppose a person can seal up the leaks with RTV but doing it right is a better idea. Hopefully there is no rust eating away the truck causing the leaks too.

That's not entirely true as stated above, however windshild trim can be removed with a painting tool too. I actually use a roller cleaner/spatula, the one with the point on one end and a roller cuttout on the other side to squeege the roller off...

This has been a staple in trim removal for many many years.
You must be registered for see images

One like shown here.

Bottom line remove trim carefully, remove windshield and then old caulking then use a couple tubes of new butyl caulking.

Hope that helps

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats the special tool Al so its exactly true.. Of course there is a tool made for this job but who has it. None but those that install glass for a living most of the time. Thats tool used to cut loose the glass is a nice tool too..

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best windshield remover?
I vote for a hammer.
Glass chunks blowing out of your defrost vents might be an issue though.....
A 3" metal putty knife is a necessity in my tool box for all kinds of things: it's what I use to remove the trim; of course I don't care about my paint.

I used a newer windshield in my truck (cause I found a new one on CL for $50).
Took the dash pad off, drilled the rivets out of the VIN tag, moved it over and re-riveted so it lined up with the slot in the windshield. So to look at the tag, I would have to remove the dash pad. I've never heard of anyone checking on one of these tags in oregon. Hopefully it won't ever be an issue.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Windshield is in pretty good shape so I hate to replace it if I don't have to. I figure there might be rust under the sealing area that needs fixed witch is one of the reasons I want to do it myself.

I remember being told that butyl tape is whats sealing it in. Al I see you mentioned butyl caulking. Is that a better solution to the tape? I just want it sealed good! My floor is rusting out from the thing leaking.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I used on mine: Sikaflex 255 (252 would work also).
I used to work at a coach conversion company ($$$$$ motor homes), and Prevost uses this stuff to glue on all of the windows (which are a couple hundred pounds each) and all of the stainless panels on the sides of their coaches.

Some of the RV places carry it.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Mine is leaking too, which is why my truck now has a tarp over it. Dont wait to long if its leaking, or the water/grit that gets in there will start rubbing the metal. Then it will look like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

tjcsr

Reaction score
Ive always used window weld, its black tar looking stuff in a tube like caulking. bought from autozone or the likes heat it up in oven for a lil bit or itll never come out of tube, also use touse it filling motor mount os hondas to make them stiffer.