Curious windshield issue.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, it rains in NW Florida during the summer about everyday. Thus before I started driving the tow truck I put new wiper blades on.
And guess what? It rained today on my way home, no problem, but the wiper blade wouldn't wipe the windshield right in front of me. The passenger side was wiping fine and the driver's side was wiping with the end of the blade and as it got to the end of it's strokes it was making full contact with the windshield but it wasn't touching the windshield right in front of me.

I pulled over and swapped blades, passenger to driver and vise versa. Nothing.

Got home and pulled a wiper arm off my parts bronco, nothing.

I bent the "new" arm so as to push the blade against the glass harder, better but not much.

My question: has anyone ever heard of a warped windshield?

I'll rain x it if I can't figure it out.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Yes its a thing that can happen. Had an old ranger that did that, luckily I "took a rock" and got a new windshield under glass hazard.

Usually if you look at the reflection in the glass you can see where it's deformed.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the common thing is to be messed up right in front of the driver! I'll do rain x.
Yes its a thing that can happen. Had an old ranger that did that, luckily I "took a rock" and got a new windshield under glass hazard.

Usually if you look at the reflection in the glass you can see where it's deformed.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Naturally. That Murphy fellow wouldn't let it be any other way.
Upon further reflection, its probably pretty common but we don't notice it if it's not right in our face. If the passenger was complaining, wed probably say, "why do you care, I'm the one that has to see".

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving to work today, I realized that the windshield is Carlite Glass so it should be the original windshield. It's also lightly frosted on the passenger side, which I take as a clue that it's at least old. So it begs the question: how did a service vehicle make it so long without a janky windshield being replaced?...... crazy......

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had safe-Lite replace mine maybe 3 yrs back.
Only because it was leaking on the floor on both sides.

Had them cut it out, taped it in and drove home 25 miles.
Then cleaned out the area it lives in because of rust etc... got it clean and POR`d it.

Taped it in and drove back for the install. Got one with dark tint at the top. was $175.
Brand? Who knows?
Wipers clean off the glass when it rains. I do Rain-X it and makes a big difference.

I don`t know if you can still get the original Ford glass.

Goat

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don`t know if you can still get the original Ford glass.

Goat
My parts bronco has the factory ford windshield, I'm going to pull it and put it in my dually(my duallys windshield is cracked) so that it'll have a factory windshield from 1986. But as far as the tow truck, I'll rain x it.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Service vehicles are often the most neglected.