Will 6.9 starter fit 7.3?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The answer is yes but there is a but to this answer. Any 6.9 or 7.3 idi starter will fit and operate just fine on any idi engine. The but is there is a better starter available for these engines. Its called a gear reduction starter. On ebay a seller named BD Electronics sels the Mistubishi gear reduction starters as cheap as you will find anywhere. Most like them because they turn the engines over so much faster than the direct drive starters. These engines are like any other diesel. The require around 940 degrees in the combustion chamber for the fuel to ignite. We get that heat from one of two sources. Either from the glow plugs or from compressing the air in the cylinders. Everyone knows the faster you compress air the hotter it will become. So the faster we can turn over the engines at startup the higher the heat generated will be. Others can chime in with what they like and where they have bought what works for them. Outside opinions are always weccomed here...

DontKnowJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still need advice. My 6.9 starter has 10 teeth. I wanted to put this one on the 7.3 cuz it has been recently rebuilt. The reman starter on the 7.3 has 13 teeth. About once a week it will "click" instead of engaging. Then the next turn of the key it cranks.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your 6.9 is a direct drive, the 7.3 is likely a mitsubishi, they will interchange but not my first choice, the 7.3 needs a new solenoid.