Why would my truck stall then run then stall?

Reaction score
Since I am sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck right now, I figured I would get some help diagnosing the problem. I have a 1988 F250 with a non-turbo IDI 7.3. I was at a salvage yard earlier driving up a steep hill and the truck died. It shows 3/4 of a tank. I sprayed some gasoline down the intake and the truck fired up. I drove to a gas station as I was pulling in it died again. I coasted to a gas pump sprayed a little bit of gas down the intake it fired up and ran again. I got to the intersection about to turn onto the Interstate and it died once again. Any ideas?

Reaction score
I forgot to mention, when I left the first salvage yard I went to another one. I parked the truck, shut it off, and walked around for a little while. I came back and the truck fired right up without a problem. After that is when I went to the gas station and it died there.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the showerhead disintegrated, you likely have pieces of it being sucked up, blocking your fuel feed. I had the same symptoms on one of mine. Cleaned the tanks and blew the lines out ... presto. Problem solved.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A fuel filter problem would show up during hard use or a hard pull. Idling around, not so much.

The shower head is the plastic pickup inside the fuel tank that likes to break off.

I have also had problems like this, and it was sucking air into the fuel system. The culprit was the steel lines were rusted on the sending unit where the plastic lines mount.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would place money on the old shower head pieces in fuel lines.
my truck did just that until I deleted the FSV

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My random stalling ended up being the ignition switch located about 10" down from the steering wheel on top of the column.

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dually use to do that, it was the shower head. I just used a piece of fuel line and a Nice big brass "t" fitting on the end of the sender and dropped it in the tank. I would remove the fuel lines and blow them out with compressed air. The dual tank switch may also be boogerd up, I replaced that with a couple ball valves; easy and simple...I would definitely pull my tank down before I do/buy anything I guarantee that shower head it broken.

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is that a money back or labor guarantee?
Labor [emoji1]

In all seriousness, that really sounds like his issue. I could actually take my fist and pound on the bottom of my tank and hear the broken shower head bouncing around. I had the exact same problem and do did another friend.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going against the flow. If you really have 3/4 of a tank then fuel should still be above the point where the showerhead breaks off. Mine are gone on both tanks and its not till I get to 3/8 tank that I start sucking air. Even when I suck air, as long as I drive on straight flat ground I can get another 30 miles out of it with it only stumbling on curves where the fuel sloshes around.
I think you will find your lift pump is going out. I have had two that have died slowly like that. Fill the tank to the top. That will eliminate the showerhead issue if there is one. Then check your fuel pressure at the filter head. If it is below 7 and fluctuates, pump is your problem.