7.3 idi starts, runs, and then dies

Nimainimai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas (and fellettes). I’m having an issue with my truck. It starts, runs for about 5 seconds, and then dies. So it’s probably being starved of fuel.
here’s some info on the truck:
- sat for about 5 years
- new IP (stock)
- new lift pump (oem mech one)
- redid the return fuel lines
- running off of external fuel tank (so bad fuel/clogged lines shouldn’t be the issue)

any help would be appreciated!

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m going to guess that you have to do a whole bunch of cranking after that to get it to restart. If that’s the case, the next time you go to start it (when you’re expecting this to happen) remove the fuel filter. If it’s not absolutely full, you have air getting in and allowing fuel to drain back. Fuel injector returns are a common source for this, but so is the heater in the fuel filter housing, and a few other spots as well.

TexasTruck

Reaction score
Possible stuck or sticking metering valve. Mine did that after sitting for a while with moisture in the lines.

Littleredrig

Reaction score
Hey fellas (and fellettes). I’m having an issue with my truck. It starts, runs for about 5 seconds, and then dies. So it’s probably being starved of fuel.
here’s some info on the truck:
- sat for about 5 years
- new IP (stock)
- new lift pump (oem mech one)
- redid the return fuel lines
- running off of external fuel tank (so bad fuel/clogged lines shouldn’t be the issue)

any help would be appreciated!

Littleredrig

Reaction score
I had the same problem… mine was the fuel filter heater “O” ring.. they apparently get worn out over a few years and need replacing, and they will cause air intrusion…I just removed mine and threaded the hole and put a bolt in….Never had the issue again. only other thing I can think of is really bad fuel injectors…or your glow plugs are faulty and not heating up the fuel enough

Nimainimai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, found the issue. The fuel tank selector valve is no good. It’s stuck shut. So even though I had it hooked up to an auxiliary tank, the return line was blocked off. Too much pressure in the system was keeping the injection pump from doing its job. Snipped the return line and ran it to an extra jug, she fired up and ran like a champ!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score

Snipped the return line and ran it to an extra jug, she fired up and ran like a champ!
That's why you should run both the feed and the return to the extra jug. That eliminates all of the fuel lines other than what it actually needs to run the engine. Plus the fuel in the can will last longer so that you can run your engine longer that way.