Truck stalls between shifting

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck:
1990 F250 engine has 130k and supposedly had a injection pump around 100k (what previous owner said but had no paperwork) I resealed this engine and put it in my truck that had no compresion. I put the pump back as close as I could to where it was when I took it off for the reseal (I know it needs to be timed but I don't have the tools).

What's happening:
When I try driving the truck and I push the clutch and let off the accelerator to shift gears the truck wants to die unless I shift fast and jump right back on the accelerator (I don't want to drive the truck like this and cant imagine that is how its supposed to be)

Problems I know:
Previous owner installed a mr gasket electric fuel pump and it leaks about as much fuel as it pumps. I assume if it is leaking fuel that it is also picking up air. I am going to replace the pump and was looking at the holly blue as others here have mentioned.

Other then the fuel pump leaking the truck starts and runs great. Doesn't smoke or overheat.

Any help is appreciated.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I've had something similar happen on both mine and my dad's truck, the gonvorner in the IP gets sticky. Running a bunch of good fuel and your favorite brand fuel cleaner (I used power service) and it cleared itself up in about 5-8 miles.
Hope it's a similar situation.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Yep. My RV was that way when I bought it. It had fuel that was who knows how old. Fresh diesel and Howes antigel (it was January and a bit below freezing at night) cleared it right up in short order. Had no problems after that.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have no idea how old the fuel is in this truck aside from the fresh 5 gallons of diesel I added and I treated that kinda heavy with power service cleaner. I guess I will just do laps around the neighborhood and see if it clears up some.

SIKPUP

Reaction score
take off the fuel filter and fill it with ATF , put it back on and run the truck a couple minutes to get the ATF in the pump and injectors , sometimes the engine tone will change , turn off engine and let it sit overnight . the detergent in the ATF will clean these internal parts..
next day drive it .

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of guys swear by a fuel filter full of ATF, let it fun a few seconds to fill the IP with it and let it set over night. Also check that your idle isn’t set too low, and bear in mind while adjusting it that the factory tach may not be very accurate.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might be obvious, since they've mentioned filling the fuel filter, but put a fresh fuel filter on it while you're at it. Water could have the paper swollen.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can do the ATF trick. I have a electric fuel pump at the tank on the frame, won't the electric pump just pump the atf back to the tank via the bypass versus fill the injector pump? The pre filter / water separator on the frame at pump and the engine bay filter/ water separator are both new Baldwin filters, no water comes out of the drains.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Some of it will, but if it's running it'll also suck it into the IP. Doesn't take much.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
You'll be able to hear when the ATF gets into the IP and it begins running on it, the sound changes drastically.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been a while. But I did the ATF a couple of months ago and it definitely seemed to make the truck run a bit smoother. But it didn't fix the stall issue. So I figured that the very leaky electric fuel pump was probably pumping air in with the fuel and causing a issue, so I replaced the fuel pump and it is still doing the samething. So I plan on two things in the near future.
1. I am going to install a fuel pressure regulator so that I know I am not over fueling the pump.
2. I am going to try to find someone that can properly time the truck so I can rule that out.
Hopefully that will make the truck drive properly and not stall.

Any other thoughts?

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It had a Mr Gasket 105p that the previous owner had secured to the frame with a shoelace. So I bought another of the same pump and installed it properly with some bolts.
It has the bronco tank with a sump that feed to a pre filter/water separator and then the pump.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should regulator it for multiple reasons down to 5psi but I can’t guarantee it is the cause of your stall, and from what I tested i seemed to experience the opposite. Last week I put 13 psi to my ip inlet and it was rev hanging.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online