Truck stalls between shifting

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Mr gasket 105p cam with a pressure regulator that has a bypass. Would you use that one and hook the bypass up to the existing return system? Or is there a better regulator to use?

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I believe this is the metering valve sticking from lack of lubrication. Fuel additive should fix it. You should always run additive as modern diesel fuel lacks the Sulphur that these injection pumps were built to use as lubricant.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Mr gasket 105p cam with a pressure regulator that has a bypass. Would you use that one and hook the bypass up to the existing return system? Or is there a better regulator to use?
I'd try what you have on hand and plumb it into the existing return

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe this is the metering valve sticking from lack of lubrication. Fuel additive should fix it. You should always run additive as modern diesel fuel lacks the Sulphur that these injection pumps were built to use as lubricant.
I don't doubt at all that the metering valve could be sticking. The truck has what I assume is a mostly full tank of old diesel that I have added a fair bit of power service cleaner to. It did start running slightly better after the ATF treatment through the fuel filter. Perhaps I will pull the access plate and clean the inside out and then get a gallon of ATF and hook it up directly and let it run through and then sit for a day or two and see what happens.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of people like ATF as a cleaner, but I’ve heard very good things about this product:

Liqui-Moly Diesel Purge Injection Cleaner (500 ml 16.9 oz set of 2 https://a.co/d/h7ZNCN8

Apparently it’s popular in Europe to help diesels pass emissions tests. The best way to use it is to run feed and return lines to a container, and let your engine run on pure diesel purge until it’s all used up. People say the liquid turns black from all the stuff it cleans out of the injectors/pump. I have a can but haven’t got around to using it. Just google or YouTube search “diesel purge” and you will see lots of info.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I can vouch for Liqui moly diesel purge. Used it a lot on my vw diesel, and it helps clean the pumps and injectors up. Makes them smoke less.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will look into that for sure. I use Liqui-Moly products in all of my vehicles aside from the ford and they make quality products. I have not heard of the diesel purge but I will very happily give it a try.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of people like ATF as a cleaner, but I’ve heard very good things about this product:

Liqui-Moly Diesel Purge Injection Cleaner (500 ml 16.9 oz set of 2 https://a.co/d/h7ZNCN8

The best way to use it is to run feed and return lines to a container, and let your engine run on pure diesel purge until it’s all used up.
Sounds like good stuff.
I wonder if there would be any benefit to having it sit overnight with it as often recommended with ATF. Fill the fuel filter and run it until the engine tone changes then shut it down and sit overnight.
Can't hurt. Or better to just run it?
I ordered the 2 cans deal. Thanks.

Last edited:

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like good stuff.
I wonder if there would be any benefit to having it sit overnight with it as often recommended with ATF. Fill the fuel filter and run it until the engine tone changes then shut it down and sit overnight.
Can't hurt. Or better to just run it?
I ordered the 2 cans deal. Thanks.
I picked up 4 cans from my local Napa this evening. I am going to run 2 cans through and see what the recirculated fuel looks like at the end, and if it is not fairly clean then I think I will empty the dirty cleaner and run one of the other cans and then let it sit for a while. Probably not over night because I would be worried about how strong this cleaner may be and I don't think I want it on all the internals for more than perhaps a few hours at a time.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...let it sit for a while. Probably not over night because I would be worried about how strong this cleaner may be and I don't think I want it on all the internals for more than perhaps a few hours at a time.
Good thinking. If it really works good then it must be strong.
I guess I'll just dump mine in the tank. I don't have any issues that I know of but I'm thinking this can't hurt. And might even let me know that it can run even better. I'm mostly hoping for quieter. ;-)

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the video I originally came across of the stuff in action. These guys also put a disposable filter on the return hose, which I think is a great idea while doing this. I think this conversation is finally motivating me to get that can off the shelf and use it lol.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I can't tell you how many cars I've done that trick on. Run the fuel supply and return to a bottle, then actuate the fuel pump a bunch. Really makes a huge difference. Especially with them computer controlled vp37's, can fix all sorts of weird codes.

With that being said, I see no reason it wouldn't help our pumps, letting it sit overnight.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am going to install my fuel pressure regulator right before the fuel filter in the engine bay. The regulator has a bypass, should I tie that into the first injector that has the return line coming from the filter or should I tee into the return line off of the IP?

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would put the regulator after the filter right before the IP and tie the bypass return into the towards tank line not through the caps. Depending on your pump I can fill a gallon jug in under 60 seconds off my bypass line. You want to minimize fuel through the caps. They are there for injector bleed off.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I would put the regulator after the filter right before the IP and tie the bypass return into the towards tank line not through the caps. Depending on your pump I can fill a gallon jug in under 60 seconds off my bypass line. You want to minimize fuel through the caps. They are there for injector bleed off.
I'll second all of this although I have not watched his pump or bypass fill a gallon jug.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx

Members online