Why does is smoke black if I time the injection too advanced?

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black Holley pump is hooked up to pwm yes. That genscripter uploaded was my main inspiration in fine tuning with the fuel pressure. Pwm is for " flex fuel " lol. Wmo as far as I read on this forum needs a bit more advancing. Ran it for 150 miles today. Only ate 10 gallons. It's a box ambulance so I don't expect much mpg.

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing about the heads seizing but I've been running it at 13 psi no problem for 500 miles so far. What causes the ip to seize? I don't know how these pumps work really. Can it not handle more than 10 psi?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pump is just not designed for 13 psi. These rotary style pumps are very suseptible to damage from end play. The earlier style cases especially until they revamped the case with more webbing for better reinforcement. This was to help them handle the load from the 5-6.5 psi inlet fuel pressure reliably. Previous to that they had issues with just 5 psi, think about what double the pressure is doing. This change happened in 81, so every pump that came on a 6.9 or 7.3 had the better case but doesn’t mean they do now.

Additionally, more pressure means more heat. This wears the pump quicker and with the viscosity change due to the increased temp you will actually output less fuel with a higher fuel pressure than stock.

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the diesel cool it enough to a point? I guess I need to research more about the pumps. Can you point me in a direction of a post or video I can look at?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it help if I'm running wmo only at 13 psi? I would think that wmo had more lubrication.

WMO may have "more lubrication" but depending on how you mixed it it very likely has a higher viscosity. Think like running 20w-50 in a car that calls for 5w-30. It may not get into places the diesel will, and also may heat up FASTER because you are "working" it harder trying to push it into places designed for a thinner fluid.

"More lubrication" does not mean "better lubrication"

EDIT: That heads down the same conversational trajectory as "any oil is better than none". Run gear oil in a car engine in the north country during winter and that oil will just sit in the pan because it's too thick for the pump.

Sorry for the tangent but I got myself worked up lol

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love the tangent. I mix it with gas and use a viscosity tool they use for paint and make it as close as I can with diesel. Still run it 50:50 with diesel. What is failing exactly when I put more that 10 psi on the outlet? The veins? Are they flexing? Don't they go up to 100 psi? Not sure if I'm researching the right pump tho

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to post this here again:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the video that I watched. I still can't figure out which component is affected by the inlet pressure.
This is my pwm set up
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything in these pumps is affected by inlet pressure. The housing pressure is what moves the cam to give a timing advance.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is regulated by the HPRA , if you dont want to take my word about the inlet pressure being an issue, Id advise you to buy a stanadyne manual and take apart a pump so you can see how it works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online