Who is interested in cowl induction hoods?

Gildo

Reaction score
Liquid filled gauges don't fog and are sealed. Autometer used to make liquid filled gauges, maybe they still do, I don't know.

Gil

Bean

Reaction score
I will have to find out what gauges can be used. Right now it is all talk but have to work out all the details before I can make anything up.

Moremph

Too Many trucks
Reaction score
we need to find somone who makes a lighted liquid filled gauge, It is hard to see with cab lights as you only source of light. I heard someone mounted an led out thier and it helped.

I like the cervini's ram air style hood and planned on picking up a few hoods out at WFC this year hopefully

Travis

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I'd possibly be interested in a cowl hood for my '86....

About 3"-3 1/2" tall but, I don't want any guages in my hood...
For my personal opinion.....

But, I would be interested in seeing what you come up with!

Thanks,

Hoss....

:cool

Gildo

Reaction score
My personal preference is for a 4" cowl induction hood.

Ryan, will these hoods be strong enough to use the hood springs, or will they require a prop rod instead? My truck is going to be getting painted early this summer, therefore I'd like to have the hood before then, say around June.

Gil

Bean

Reaction score
I would liek to try and make it to where it would be stong enough to reuse the springs. Will have to see how it goes.

Gildo

Reaction score
Ryan, keep us posted. I'm very interested in a cowl induction hood, and the gauges would be awesome in my opinion. Oh and by the way, have you started selling IDMs yet? If you have, would you please send me an email with the price and such. I looked on your site and saw the IDM included in a package, but not individually.

Gil

redneckhouston

dodge killer
Reaction score
jlayne said:
i love the heat extractor style... i think that’s what the woman is getting for our anniversary

:D pods would be nice thought might have to wait and see what yall work up. what type of guages will you suggest be used in them.. I think most of them are not weather tight... fogged up guages would be a bummer. My only suggestion would be to make the pods look like they belong there and not like a cowl hood with acne.

Bean build one for a obs and ill buy one ive already got the marine gauges to put in it :thumbsup:

jjeepyjohn

Beer Kindasewer
Reaction score
Bean said:
I have the hoods to make molds off of, just have to figure out a design. Maby help me out when you come down Phil, bounce some stuff around over a brew.

Hey Man... IM CLOSER!! LOL

TooMuchBoost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bean said:
I am thinking about desighning a new fiberglass hood, want some input from others. What style do you think looks the best? What do you want on it?

Also the main question is, would you be more likely to buy it if it had built in gauge pods on the driver side for 2 5/8 gauges? How many guges would you want if you had them there?

I can make the hood any way I want but only want to do it once and am definetly doing gauge pods if I make it. Good idea or not?

Sweet. It's going to be very labor intensive but a great idea. I have unlimited access to wholesale priced auto body supplies and I make my own coatings (primers/clears/select base colors) so let me know if I can help you out on your R&D project whether it be samples or greatly discounted product. ;Sweet

Renegade

HillBilly
Reaction score
Hey Bean

If you get deep into the hood deal, remember one thing if you do a cowl induction style, allow enough room on the cowl section stepping back towards the window for the wipers to work back & forth without hitting the cowls lip with the hood fully raised.

(lesson learned here by barking the paint off while messing around under the dash & hitting the wipers with my noggin)

Bean

Reaction score
haha, thanx Brian, best way to learn is the hard way right.

bamadiesel

Reaction score
Bean said:
haha, thanx Brian, best way to learn is the hard way right.
bean why not mount the gauges in the center of the hood in the cowl area if its not going to be functional.looks like it would be less wind drag and easier to build

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
If your thinking of tach, as well as standard gauges, when not make a recessed pocket in the driver's side of the hood, so the gauge pod could be modular, without having that bolted-on-afterthought look. Possibly even underside install, so all you have is a seam around the pod. Then you could have a choice of gauge pod configurations. Like 5" tach, with 2- 2 1/16" gauges, or 1 of each, or 1, 2 or 3 small gauges. Idiot lights, or instrument lamps would also be easy enough to install, or mold in.
If cosmetics were still an issue, it would be easy to fill & seal the perimeter of the pocket, before painting.

Having the gauges under the cowl lip, in the middle, would be a cool hiding place, also.

Last edited:

Bean

Reaction score
PackRat said:
If your thinking of tach, as well as standard gauges, when not make a recessed pocket in the driver's side of the hood, so the gauge pod could be modular, without having that bolted-on-afterthought look. Possibly even underside install, so all you have is a seam around the pod. Then you could have a choice of gauge pod configurations. Like 5" tach, with 2- 2 1/16" gauges, or 1 of each, or 1, 2 or 3 small gauges. Idiot lights, or instrument lamps would also be easy enough to install, or mold in.
If cosmetics were still an issue, it would be easy to fill & seal the perimeter of the pocket, before painting.

Having the gauges under the cowl lip, in the middle, would be a cool hiding place, also.

That is exactly the plan. modular units with options.

I dont want to put them in the center because that means you have to look to the side to see tham, my porpose for it is so that when racing or pulling the gauges are right in front of you and just a slight glance down and they are right there. I have had guges on my hood for awhile its real handy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online