Who is interested in cowl induction hoods?

Bean

Reaction score
I am thinking about desighning a new fiberglass hood, want some input from others. What style do you think looks the best? What do you want on it?

Also the main question is, would you be more likely to buy it if it had built in gauge pods on the driver side for 2 5/8 gauges? How many guges would you want if you had them there?

I can make the hood any way I want but only want to do it once and am definetly doing gauge pods if I make it. Good idea or not?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it a "look cool" hood or is it functional, by functional I mean is it going to bring cool air to the filter? Are you talking SD or OBS too?

sagebel

Reaction score
Guage pods would be sweet. I really like the old vette hoods. Would 2 5/8 be a large enough face?

Scott

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
I had a 1970 Chevelle SS 396 with the cowl induction hood & it was really :cool :cool when it worked.

Would you be able to see standard gauges if they were built into a hood?

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
I saw a SD 350 yesterday with a cowl induction hood and it looked AWESOME. Got any drawings of your thoughts? Not sure about the guages on it though.

John

Bean

Reaction score
I am not sure about making it functional, diesels dont liek water and that makes me hesitatant. I do have some different ideas in mind for the cowls but I am no good at drawing, its just in my head.

2 5/8ths would be plenty big enough gauges, they are much larger then your normal 2 1/16 that we put in the gauge pods. The gauges would make it much easier to read data while goin a 100mph down the track or 300' whatever the case. Its just a matter of a glance down and they are right there. I could also make that a interchangable panel so that I could make say one with a 5" tach and two gauges or one with six gauges or three or whatever. I might also put the same shape and panel on the pass side so that from the front it would just look like two small cowls on each side.

As far as OBS or SD, I would probably start with a SD hood since I think there is more of a demand for them. If those do good then do a OBS too. I have a full fiberglass shop at my disposal so I can make a mold however I want, just want to do it once though.

Bean

Reaction score
I have the hoods to make molds off of, just have to figure out a design. Maby help me out when you come down Phil, bounce some stuff around over a brew.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Hey bean how about a funtional cowl hood but with maybe a screen and drip edge to give the water a place to run down the cowl just to help with under hood temps an d I like the ideal of a couple gauges blended in with the hood

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
One thing I don't like about most aftermarket cowl hoods for any vehical is they tend to lose the center rib of the hood. Most makers just make a big flat center section on the hood. A center rib would have to be there for me to puchase a OBS hood. $.02

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
i love the heat extractor style... i think that’s what the woman is getting for our anniversary

:D pods would be nice thought might have to wait and see what yall work up. what type of guages will you suggest be used in them.. I think most of them are not weather tight... fogged up guages would be a bummer. My only suggestion would be to make the pods look like they belong there and not like a cowl hood with acne.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online