White Smoke on Startup TSing steps

JRHS

Reaction score
Gents,

Let me start off by saying thanks for all the great advice and words of wisdom. I bought my truck in December and have been reading the forum pretty much every day since, thanks for the education!

My truck has an 83 6.9 NA motor with 60k miles on it. it Spent most of its life towing a horse trailer every now then. I haven't had chance a to start it on a warm day yet, but it typically fires up in 2-3 cranks if it's above 20 and maybe 4-5 cranks in the single digits. Then it blows billows of white smoke until it warms up and runs nice and smooth with no visible smoke after that. Its about 30 degrees in this video.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I've replaced the return lines with a kit from Russ and I'm running hot-shot in it. I took a look today and noticed the pump has already been advanced 3 or 4 dime widths. You can just make out the two lines in this picture

View media item 762
You must be registered for see images

Do you think it's time for a new pump/injectors? Would you just run it like this? What would you be your troubleshooting steps?

thanks again!

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
First of all, we're all glad to help out here. I'm glad you're finding the info here useful and entertaining. The lines don't mean much for injector pump timing. They are for getting the timing close enough to run (maybe not well). I would try advancing the pump a little bit more and see what happens. The life of the IP and injectors is usually 100,000 miles or so. With 60,000+ miles, you're not at the end of it's life yet. Depending on your useage, it may only be a year or so when you do have to replace them, but I don't think you're at that point yet.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White smoke on a cold morning is pretty normal with all my deisels and I got a few and different brands my 86 idi will puke white for a few min untill I gets warmed up but I have some glow plugs issues right now

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
White smoke on a cold morning is pretty normal with all my deisels and I got a few and different brands my 86 idi will puke white for a few min untill I gets warmed up but I have some glow plugs issues right now
Mine will get a little bit of whitish smoke for a little bit until it runs for a couple of minutes too. The OP said that his does this until it warms up. This makes me assume that it lasts until the fast idle kicks off or longer. If it does that, then it's not normal.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Can you get a video from the front of the truck, to hear engine sound better? Idle seems low, does cold advance and fast idle work?

Probably just needs a little more timing. Does it run really rough when you try to rev it up or drive it cold?

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also at like -15 mine will like loap /surge for a min and the white smoke that smells like raw fuel is really bad for like 10 min

Cold weather makes these motors do strange things

JRHS

Reaction score
Can you get a video from the front of the truck, to hear engine sound better? Idle seems low, does cold advance and fast idle work?

Probably just needs a little more timing. Does it run really rough when you try to rev it up or drive it cold?

thanks for the reply , I will get another video this weekend when I’m back home. When I rev the engine cold it seems to rev up just fine but goes back to the same idle you hear in the video until it warms up, a little rough. Im not sure on cold advance or fast idle , honestly maybe not . I’ve never noticed any kind of difference in idle speed .

JRHS

Reaction score

it really varies with the temperature . I started it when it was 5 out and it blew white smoke for a long time , maybe 8 minutes or so . Today it was 35 and it blew white smoke for less then 2 minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online