Which year IDI blocks will a C-6 mate up to?

blackflag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 1986 6.9 that's blown and am looking for a used engine and am thinking about going with an IDI 7.3. I found one out of a 93 that was mated to a manual transmission but can't seem to find an answer if a c-6 will mate up to it. I would assume the back of the 6.9 and 7.3 were all the same but don't want to take the chance without checking with the knowledgeable folks here. I'm thinking that in either 93 or 94 Ford went to the E4OD tranny and wasn't sure if the bolt pattern in the block changed or not.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Every idi will accept a C6 or E4OD trans no matter what trans came behind it. Every idi engine in either a van or pickup truck has a bellhousing adapter plate thats about 1 1/4 inch thick mounted on the back of the block. You can also get a different trans mount that will accept a big rig type trans like is found in the international dump and buss applications. Just make sure the trans is made for the idi diesel. Some ere made for the big block gasser engines.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Blackflag... Its much safer to ask before jumping in. Nobody here will tease for someone asking a question.