Which South Bend?

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
So, the new setup is running so good, the ole clutch is starting to slip. It is the OEM clutch with almost 112k on the odo. I'm happy with that and surprised it lasted this long even under the stock setup.
I do NOT sled pull or drag race at the strip. I use this truck for pulling horse trailers, hay trailers, fire wood, etc.
Here is how it's currently set up:
'98 12 valve 5 speed 4x4, #11 plate slid 1/2 way forward, 3k GSK, AFC spring kit, kitty less and K&N filter in the swiss cheesed stock air box.
Future plans: 370's or Don M's injectors, better air intake, maybe exhaust, something on the turbo and very soon: pump timing adjustment.
I think this'll put me a little bit under 400 hp. This is all the further I intend to take this truck, any more and I'll have to put a valet switch in and tune it down for the very reason I have it, so no need to go further.
I'm going with a South Bend, no reason to convince me otherwise. What I'm wondering is which one you think will work best for me? I will be in contact with SB as well to see what they say.
I'm thinkin' of goin' with ATS in Denver for the install, but I haven't checked into price yet.

Bean

Reaction score
I have had the ofe and now the fe. The ofe you would like alot, very good drivability and no slip. Not grabby at all and nice soft pedal. The fe is more grabby and takes some gettin used too. I definetly recommend SBC and Peter, top notch!

B

Big K

Originally posted by CHarlan
CON FE... I have gone through 3 OFE's, and would definitely recommend an FE for you.

Try again, CH :rolleyes:

;) ;p

Seriously, though, I think he needs the OFE, and that's what Peter will tell him. One word, towing.

I have actually lowered my HP/TQ plans to stay within the OFE envelope, as I tow almost daily.

What has been the problem w/your OFE's? 'Sposed to be good for 450 or so?

Speak up, I gotta order soon!

dodgeman01

TOWN DRUNK
Reaction score
Just get the SBC dd street and never buy another clutch again LOL I mean its only like 1700 for the clutch and 800 for the imputshaft if this is for a 5spd.
Love my DD puller now I'm just waiting to get the tranny back in so I can drive the dang thing lol
DM01 :mad:

Green Machine

Reaction score
Do the ofe for pullen. The FE is eather in or out and thats it. I just did the conversion to the new flywheel and a Fe its a lot of fun on the street. Thanks Rip for the install

Got Smoke?

The Smokey One
Reaction score
Call South Bend and speak to Peter personally. See what he has to say. He won't try to sell you the more expensive clutch, rather the one that will suit your driving needs. When I called and told him my setup which is over 400RWHP and I was going to be shooting for 450RWHP I wanted the 13" FE, Peter tried and tried to convince me to go with a 13" OFE but I wanted overkill.

The FE is a VERY streetable clutch. Has just a slight hint of jerk on engagement in 2nd gear start outs. However I wouldn't call it IN or OUT. I had TST's now "discontinued" 13" Button clutch and THAT! was IN or OUT.

Now here I am just two months later and I'm selling my truck to get a Club Cab or Quad Cab 12V (if I can find it HA!) wish I had saved the $100 on the OFE LoL.
Oh well next truck I am just getting a 13" OFE because I'm not going as wild with it.

My suggestion to you is if your gonna stay around 400HP call Peter and see whether or not he suggests the 13" Con O or Con OFE. My suggestion would be the OFE.

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
Thanks guys. It sounds like the 13" OFE is the ticket. Now if I can only get this stock clutch to hold out a while longer. My wife just went through emergency surgery and several visits to the ER. I have to pay them bills first.:(

CHarlan

Reaction score
the 13" OFE would be alot better than the 12" OFE.. that is what I kept going through.. Sorry I didnt get back with you. Been very busy, and go in for knee surgery here in about an hour and a half. Best of luck to ya with the clutch! I know you will be happy!

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
Hey Chris, Good luck to you on your knee surgery. Don't worry, you'll be back kickin' pigs again in no time.
I've decided on the 13" OFE for sure. Good friend Richard, R.ebel from TDR has that exact clutch and I watched his truck turn out 536/1200 on the dyno on Sat.
Me, I turned out 370/900. No wonder my OEM clutch is slipping in 4th/5th. I don't think it slipped on the dyno. Not bad for just a #11 and GSK as far as power mods go. EGT's were through the roof, so now after a clutch, I'll be looking forward to a turbo and I'm still considering water/****. I'm right where I intend to be HP wise, just need to cool it down so I can use it.:thanks:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance