Luk or South Bend?

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, u2slow. Since a 13" South Bend is apparently available for the IDI/zf5 combo, that sounds like the way to go when I build up my plow truck.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve slipped luk clutches with 110s, but not with normal use. I stock southbend 13” clutches here with custom clutch options up to 550hp ratings, hard to beat the luk for the money, the throw out bearings they include could be better though.
You must be registered for see images attach

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve slipped luk clutches with 110s, but not with normal use. I stock southbend 13” clutches here with custom clutch options up to 550hp ratings, hard to beat the luk for the money, the throw out bearings they include could be better though.
I agree on the LuK. Got a preferred brand of TO bearing? When I did my LuK the TO bearing looked weak sauce and I ended up getting a NAPA unit that seemed much sturdier.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Got a preferred brand of TO bearing?
I've been running the same pilot and throw out bearings since I installed my Luk kit back in 2006. I have Timken replacements for both to install the next time that I have the engine and transmission apart. Hopefully Timken still has good quality since A LOT of brands have been slipping in quality lately. Of course, when you design newer vehicles to be disposable, then you don't need as good of quality in aftermarket parts.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running the same pilot and throw out bearings since I installed my Luk kit back in 2006. I have Timken replacements for both to install the next time that I have the engine and transmission apart. Hopefully Timken still has good quality since A LOT of brands have been slipping in quality lately. Of course, when you design newer vehicles to be disposable, then you don't need as good of quality in aftermarket parts.
Thanks, from what I understand Timken is still a name for quality.
Last Saturday my buddy was pushing in my clutch to test his knee if he could drive and I could hear slight squealing...not cool.

But I'm not worried about it since my transmission had bad synchros when I got it 13 years and probably 150,000 miles ago. So among all the other stuff I'm doing, I get to rebuild my transmission too! Hence the question.

cozinsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think the Luk will handle my power level and use?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should be fine as long as you’re not launching at the track with sticky tires and a prepped surface, like I said not really “normal” use. The national and timkin bearings are good, recent Luk kits I’ve gotten are unbranded Chinese to bearings.

Diesel Jimbo

Reaction score
I haven't noticed that with mine, but I may just be used to it. I also first installed it if my first 85 F250 during the ZF5 swap and it may be rattley and I just can't tell the difference. It took me a long time to even realize what the gear rollover noise was. I thought that it was normal and didn't really pay any attention to it.

I have found that if your trans uses ATF that the Redline High Temperature ATF has a viscosity of about 2X standard ATF and if does wonders for quieting all of the gear noises and even the synchros work better. In the old does I had discovered that adding STP oil treatment to MTF would have a similar effect.

I, too, have had good luck with LUK clutches over the years.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm thinking about switching to synthetic ATF and oil in the rear end sometime soon.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just pulled the engine on my super duty crewcab project which has a South bend clutch. I have no information regarding how the truck was previously used / treated however the two small springs in the clutch disc were broken. My idi in the sig has an advance Auto smf conversion kit that was installed approximately 10 years ago, zero problems, however it is noisy idling in low gear.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for people that cant decide on a clutch.
2.5 years ago, i installed a new LUK.
today, i destroyed it.
dont know any power numbers, but she boost 20+
getting a new clutch coming tomorrow

540milotalon

Reaction score
Never used Southbend or Luk and I understand they are both good, I have used Valair exclusively on both IDI and Powerstrokes

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's that SB clutch I recently removed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online