Which clear inline fuel pre-filter?

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally changing my fuel pump but want to add sufficient filtration before the frame rail mounted pump. Really don't want to go with a header & filter setup and prefer the inline. So I'm just wondering what people have found that flows enough fuel and doesn't clog quickly. The pre-filter on my Facet pump has not caught very much gunk but there is a growing layer of sediment at the bottom of the clear plastic bowl so I know I need something before the pump.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally changing my fuel pump but want to add sufficient filtration before the frame rail mounted pump. Really don't want to go with a header & filter setup and prefer the inline. So I'm just wondering what people have found that flows enough fuel and doesn't clog quickly. The pre-filter on my Facet pump has not caught very much gunk but there is a growing layer of sediment at the bottom of the clear plastic bowl so I know I need something before the pump.
Pre filters should be 20-100 micron and post filters 10 micron or less. You don’t want to go with header and filter which is what I do/would do but you can run a Walboro or any inline pre filter. As you said it’s meant to catch the big stuff from damaging the epump not the very fine particulates which is what post filter is for. I run header setup with 20 micron pre with water separator and 10 micro or less post.
You must be registered for see images attach

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that's what I would call "Having plenty of room to work". Mostly I'm just concerned with the potential for damage when driving off-road, but maybe a small filter and header tucked high up. No lift on my truck so I would prefer not to have anything protruding below the frame.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you, I set it up like this because it’s not my trail rig. If it was going on trails I would re engineer it to not be below the frame.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of fuel line setup would replace the filter and hardline to the pump. That would free up a lot of room up top.

12pilgrim

Reaction score
Pre filters should be 20-100 micron and post filters 10 micron or less. You don’t want to go with header and filter which is what I do/would do but you can run a Walboro or any inline pre filter. As you said it’s meant to catch the big stuff from damaging the epump not the very fine particulates which is what post filter is for. I run header setup with 20 micron pre with water separator and 10 micro or less post.
Wow... that is beautiful. Are those metal fuel lines?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a single header and baldwin spin-on setup on my frame rail, similar to @hacked89 but I tucked mine above the transmission skid-plate so it can't catch on anything. It doesn't hang down very far but it's still well above the skid plate, so nice and safe unless you're high-centering at speed. At that point you have other problems!

Ruffnek7tree

Reaction score
I'm going to set mine up much how hacked89 did, but much less clean lol.. I'm going to use a WIX 33972 filter before the first filter, it's a 50 micron rated filter, does a good job of keeping the ball bearings out of your pump, and it's cheap to replace, like $10 IIRC

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For funsies I took a picture of my fuel filter poking below the frame.

It's pretty well-protected, and serviceable.