Whats wrong with this GP setup?

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
No. The S terminal wire should go to your switch in the cab.

Let me whip something up in MS paint for ya...

Please forgive the quality... i didnt realize how bad this would be...

Attachments

• Manual GP diag..png
    Manual GP diag..png
    27.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Old bull, if thats the same solenoid i have (looks like it is) then it grouns through the base. By having him connect the B+ to the "S" terminal it would never turn off....Bad news for the glow plugs...

Yeah, there are two types of those relays. One is grounded to the base, the other isn't.
He is confusing the issue by saying it's a new relay now. Did he replace it or the PO? If he replaced it and wired it like the old one, and it stays ON then he has the wrong relay.

If it's not a base grounded relay, then the jumper is OK. Like I said, the other terminal goes to ground thru the switch.

When all the info is not posted, then it makes the answerer look like a fool.

I just copied his picture and posted it. Made it easier to see his connections.

If you don't know anything about automotive wiring, ya better get someone who does, and can look at it and see what is there.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Oworm, what side of Indy are you on? If you're at least close to my side or the interstate i might make a road trip and help you....(I like driving :D)

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, there are two types of those relays. One is grounded to the base, the other isn't.
He is confusing the issue by saying it's a new relay now. Did he replace it or the PO? If he replaced it and wired it like the old one, and it stays ON then he has the wrong relay.

If it's not a base grounded relay, then the jumper is OK. Like I said, the other terminal goes to ground thru the switch.

When all the info is not posted, then it makes the answerer look like a fool.

I just copied his picture and posted it. Made it easier to see his connections.

If you don't know anything about automotive wiring, ya better get someone who does, and can look at it and see what is there.

Thanks for your help. Actually I said in post 5 that the relay was new before you replied. If I made you look like a fool then please accept my humble apologies and feel free to not reply to any more of my posts.

Last edited:

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oworm, what side of Indy are you on? If you're at least close to my side or the interstate i might make a road trip and help you....(I like driving :D)
Thanks for your kind offer but you would be making a 170 round mile trip for a five minute job.

I think I have it figured out now. I followed the cable from the cab and its connected at the wrong side of the relay (not the S post) That little jumper going from the hot post to the S tells me my GP's are probably fried since they have been jumpered to the battery terminal on the relay.

Oh by the way. This was not my doing,it was the shop.

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. The S terminal wire should go to your switch in the cab.

Let me whip something up in MS paint for ya...

Please forgive the quality... i didnt realize how bad this would be...

That little diagram really helped clear things up for me, thanks!

Last edited:

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theres two ways to control the relay, by ground or by hot.

If it isn't self grounded at the base I prefer to use grounding to control the relay. Less wiring :D

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I see one of your small terminals says "S", which is for start.

If you have the wrong solenoid it will have an "I" by the other small terminal. Since you say the soleniod is new, my guess is you have the wrong one, it may work if wired differently, but it may not take constant duty, and your gps could be fried if it was constantly on. It's entirely possible that it just never came, depending on which solenoid you have and where the wires actually go.

It looks like someone was trying to wire in a manual switch using the instructions for the solenoid on the 7.3 controller. which grounds out the other small terminal.

Let me get out of here and look at your pics again.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I dont' know, that wire powering it looks like a starter wire.

I've never had one with that wiring still in it, so I don't know what's supposed to be there, on the newer ones, you have two yellow wires to the hot side of the solenoid.:dunno

My guess is it was wired to me manual, and that may have worked before but this new solenoid is different.

Do you have the part number for the solenoid, there may be a diagram online.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Plywood, i'm 95% sure he got a gasser solenoid, which grounds through the base. I'm pretty sure we got him straightened out... :D

I did the same thing with my truck and running a gasser starter solenoid for the GPs. Works great! :)

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a relay is a relay....these arent constant duty they are on for 10sec tops usually. if its rated for the amps its fine - starter, glowplug, hoolaballoo. dont matter :sly

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I have manual GPs on my 85, and had to replace the solenoid. I just went by spec, if you look in a catalog, you would be amazed the amount of different kinds you can buy. Coming from an Electrical Project Managing background I was able to do it by spec and get what I wanted.

I saw a guy buy a cheap solenoid one day at the AP store, he put it in, in the parking lot and when he went to start it, it just stuck on with the engine running, the guy would turn it off and it would just crank, poor old guy was about to keel over. By the way, no, there was no solenoid on the starter, and the ***** that sold it to him acted like he had seen it before.

Anyway, I saw your diagram and I agree it should work IF that's what it is. It just seemed to me a guy couldn't hook it up that way without some big sparks to say "wait a second is this right". I can't tell from how it's mounted whether it can get ground through the base either, that could also be the problem.