whats this radiator fit?

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I was getting a 6.9 rad...measurement I got from the guy was close..figured he didnt know how to use a tape...

mines 31in long....

this ones 37!!...he said it came out of his late 80's ford he installed a 6.9 into...

I cant get the 37in into my van...just wont fit (didnt even try...no room)

so now I've got a almost new rad...and unable to use it...and UNABLE to know what it came out of to SELL it...

its long and skinny...probably 20in wide...but its a ford diesel rad...

help!

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that the early ford diesels that came without ac had a skinny wider radiator.

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that isnt any ford diesel radiator i have ever heard of not at 37x20 most diesels have a 3 or 4 core in them that sounds like a gasser to me

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
In the first years there was a short-wide radiator, this 37" wide thing may be what that is

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
31" wide is the factory A/C radiator, some trucks without A/C had a 37" wide radiator that is also lower than the 31" one, I've seen a '92 truck with one of those from the factory so they ain't just for early trucks. Thickness of both radiators is the same, just the width and the height are different. And then to make the situation even more confusing, there are those trucks that have the wide radiator and factory A/C too, but I've only seen a few and just in pictures.

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I can list it as a NON AC radiator??...cus unless I move a battery...and a windshield res...in an ALREADY cramped space...it aint gonna fit..:eek:

its just as thick as the one already in...and hose connections are the same...just FYI

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, it's the non-A/C radiator for trucks, vans to my knowledge use the narrow but tall radiator. Actually the radiator in my truck came from an E-series van, even tho a certain someone on TDS told me it's impossible, and that my truck had some sort of gasser radiator at first if it can accept the van radiator - don't you just love it when people act as experts without even seeing in person the parts in question? lol

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ask Mel what size his radiator is. I know he has the wider style in the Moose Truck...

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck was an original non ac truck and yes the wide short radiator is for them.
Also the diesel van radiator is the same as the standard ac rad in most cases, maybe a nipple difference for dual heat and bypass but it is a bolt in, I am no expert but I have done the swap once or twice.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Russ, the difference between van radiator and truck radiator is that if the truck has factory tow package there will be a 5/8" or 3/4" (whatever the heater core hoses size is) barb hose fitting in the lower tank, dunno if vans have factory tow package but if they don't then their rads will be the same as the non-tow trucks which have the port but it has a plug in it instead of the barb fitting. The rad I pulled from that E350 has a plug and not a fitting, my truck is factory tow but when redoing the heater core hoses I ran them as a regular truck so I'm not using that extra port in the rad (still have the fitting tho, may get to installing it some day. The one thing I noticed during the swap is that you wanna use van shroud with the van radiator, as the truck shroud leaves a 1/2" gap on top that I tried sealing with a foam pipe but the fan sucked it in and ate it in no time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner