whats it worth

motoboy549

Reaction score
Ive got a 91 F250 5 speed four wheel drive. I just bought the thing earlier this month. I put a new injector in it to take care of a miss changed all the fluids and filters. Heres the fun part, I bought it from the original owner who paid it off back in 94. When the bank sent the paperwork to have the lien removed they lost them. Now the banks outta business and they have no way to get that paperwork to remove the lien. They do have an attorney working on it I've talked to him myself. However I didnt buy this truck to sit in my driveway and look pretty i bought it to drive. If i cant do that I'll sell it as a parts/good luck with the title truck.
You must be registered for see images

FoMoCo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just go to the State DMV or who ever handles titles, and file for a lost title. You might have to take it to the State police so they can make sure that it is not stolen. Once you get the new title, with no lien, you are set. I am from Texas, and I did this on a 1979 Bronco. It only took about 1 hour of my time, I don't know about Ohio.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
X2 sorta....

here in ND the process is the same, only you go through the state police/highway patrol first, they inspect vehicles for titles on thursdays here, you make an appointment, they come to your house, and then they give you a form to take to the DMV

done it a couple times

I'd just call them first to find out the process in Ohio

motoboy549

Reaction score
i called the title office and they said its something she has to do... I called her she said shes tried but they wont give her the title until the lein is removed which brings me to the original problem... soo whats it worth?

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got a 91 F250 5 speed four wheel drive. I just bought the thing earlier this month. I put a new injector in it to take care of a miss changed all the fluids and filters. Heres the fun part, I bought it from the original owner who paid it off back in 94. When the bank sent the paperwork to have the lien removed they lost them. Now the banks outta business and they have no way to get that paperwork to remove the lien. They do have an attorney working on it I've talked to him myself. However I didnt buy this truck to sit in my driveway and look pretty i bought it to drive. If i cant do that I'll sell it as a parts/good luck with the title truck.

Wow, who lost the paperwork the PO?
You needed to have the signed title in your hand when you traded money for the truck. It is the only proof that you own it. Perhaps the lien is still outstanding even if the original bank is gone?

motoboy549

Reaction score
the bank sent them the paperwork back in 94. they jus never did anything with it. i bought the truck in 2010, sometime in the last 16 years they lost the papers to remove the lien. the bank that sent the papers is no longer in business. So there is no way to get the papers "resent"

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Nevada you do a certified letter, return receipt to the leinholder's address of record. In the envelope you ask for a lein release on the truck listing all info needed. when letter is returned undeliverable you take it unopened to dmv and file a 'statement of facts' then a title is cut. Not knowing specifics in your state this may not be applicable there but you can ask. In order for you to do this yourself you'll need a power of attorney from the registered owner on the title. Another method is to see if any towing companies are willing to process a lein on the truck for a fee. This way usually takes a few months. A friend at a mechanics shop can do this too.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My point was you bought the truck without a title in your hand, a big mistake. However, I feel badly for your situation and I am not trying to rub it in. I believe that with proof that you paid for the truck and persistence that you can get a title because of the 16 years that has passed. Don't take no for an answer.
PS I did something dumb like that once, buying an expensive boat with the signature of one owner on the papers when there were 3 legal owners. The Coast Guard caught me when I tried to register it. Luckily I was able to sort it out.

Last edited:

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kind of have a problem like this as well,

I bought a truck that had the title, but the owner never had it put into his name. He signed the back but never turned it for a transfer.

I figure that I need to contact the dealership and have them sign it over to me, but Im not positive on that yet.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kind of have a problem like this as well,

I bought a truck that had the title, but the owner never had it put into his name. He signed the back but never turned it for a transfer.

I figure that I need to contact the dealership and have them sign it over to me, but Im not positive on that yet.

That is OK. This just means that the PO did not register it. Happens all the time with dealers.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gonecrazy is there a dealership involved somehow in your title transaction? What I mean is this. Seller sells truck to dealer, dealer sells to guy you bought from, guy sells to you. If yes then you could have a can o worms. If dealership is out of state and guy you bought from brought the truck from that state then no big deal. Just get a bill of sale from the guy listed a new buyer on the title and run to dmv. If the dealer is in the state then they are legally required to process the title in the buyers name, not your name. An exception to this though is if the truck is 9 years old or newer. Then the title has to go in buyers name before it can be transferred to you.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you're friends with a towing company, have them do a lein on it. if your lein laws are the same as kali lein laws, in 40 days you will have a lein packet to bring to dmv and all parties would have had a chance to respond. you now can go get a title for it.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a 90 f350.

The truck was bought here in Florida and the guy was driving it withing the 30 day temp tag period. He blew the tranny out and bought another truck.

I bought the truck from him but he never had the truck taken out of the dealerships name and put into his. I screwed up and didnt get a bill of sale and only have the 2 witnesses that were present when I paid. The seller and myself were supposed to get together to have the title taken care of but I havent been able to get ahold of him.

I talked to a few people down at a tag agency and was told that I could contact the dealership to get them to sign the vehicle over, or I would have to go to the court house and have a letter sent to the owners and if no one responded it would be put into my name.

This was a private tag agency so Im not really sure how correct they are. I really need to go to a state agency.

I have a Florida title and both the dealership and the guy I got it from have signed off on it, Im just not sure If I really have to do anything else to get ahold of the title in my name.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online