whats it worth

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kind of have a problem like this as well,

I bought a truck that had the title, but the owner never had it put into his name. He signed the back but never turned it for a transfer.

I figure that I need to contact the dealership and have them sign it over to me, but Im not positive on that yet.

For example, I just checked the paperwork from my 1982 Mercedes. The title was from Rhode Island and signed over to someone in New Hampshire. I found it at a dealer in Massachusetts. He filled out an assignment of title form along with the original title and I was set.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gonecrazy Check with the dealership first but you could probably add yourself on a second buyer line as a co-owner. Make sure you check the 'or' box so the title would be cut as first owner or second owner(you). Then you could go to your dmv and sell it to yourself on a bill of sale effectively taking his name off the title before it is processed. If the dealership sends in a dealer report of sale then you cannot do that and the dealership cannot transfer the truck in your name without the owner being present nor would they without cash in their hand for the troubles

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I kind of have a problem like this as well,

I bought a truck that had the title, but the owner never had it put into his name. He signed the back but never turned it for a transfer.

I figure that I need to contact the dealership and have them sign it over to me, but Im not positive on that yet.

in ND, what you need is simply referred to as a "part 2"

simply an additional set of boxes you turn in with the title where the PO fills it out as the registered owner

doesn't cost anything up here, it makes it so you can register in your name and the state can bill the PO for the sales tax from when he bought it (if not already paid)

otherwise, there is another form for "defacement of title" where he can simply write that he bought the vehicle for you because you were unavailable at the time of purchase

I have used a "part 2" a few times, and I had to fill out for "defacement of title" when I bought my ex a car at auction and they sent the title with my name written in