Whats a turbo rebuild kit cost

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Just wondering what a turbo rebuild kit cost about for the factory Garret wastegated turbos on the 93/94 7.3s

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what a turbo rebuild kit cost about for the factory Garret wastegated turbos on the 93/94 7.3s

Give ATS a call, they packaged everything on those trucks, and supplied Ford with the setups.

Also, any diesel shop that works on them should be able to get you a quote.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Typ4 (Russ) will give you a better rebuild than ATS.... Nobody can really say till they tear down what you have... If the wheels have contacted the housing then you need some wheels or machine work and wheels along with all the bearings and seal kit. If you try to rebuild this yourself you will have no way of balanceing the rotating unit. Remember the shaft and wheels spin in excess of 130,000 rpm....:eek:

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of rebuilding one yourself. Like he said, I think balance would be a major issue

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a rebuild kit from this guy:
http://stores.ebay.com/ronsturboservice-salt-lake-city
and he had a deal where you shipped him your turbine and compressor and he would clean and balance them and ship back the rebuild kit. I was able to bring them to him because he is local. I was happy with everything.
The rebuilding is easy depending on a few things...
First you need to be a little bit mechanically inclined, and have a few tools.
It depends what has failed. If it is just a preventive rebuild and nothing has really gone wrong, it is super simple, take apart, put new parts in, re-assemble. But if you discover a bent shaft or think the housing is worn for some reason, it is best to send it off and get a new center.
JwS

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Sorry I need to add that Russ did the work for me....and the center section had everything including wheels, the only thing we used off my old turbo was the intake and exhaust housings. That was 2 years now I think, so prices have probably gone up.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Balancing is not an issue if you mark everything before disassembly. The nut is usually zero balance, but you have to mark the shaft and compressor wheel in relation to each other.

Honestly, rebuilding a turbo is a pretty straightforward process, but then again I've also had a few apart. I rebuilt the turbo on my truck myself, it's been on the truck for 10,000 miles now with zero issues. However this really depends on the overall condition of the turbo, if it's pretty good but just has too much play in it, you can probably do it yourself.

If you do need a balance lots of places can do that for you. I had an outfit called Gpop's Turbo Shop (you can find them on google) balance a turbo of mine a few years ago for $90 which included the cost of return shipping.

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Ah ok well i have looked in books and seen some vids on turbo rebuilds and it looks easy enough. I just got this turbo and its ok but i can feel some side to side movement and i know it will bee needing a rebuild soon so i figure do it now while its in my hand, And idea what model the turbo is? so i know for ordering parts

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a general note, before you take the nut off that holds the turbine wheel, I understand that if the nut has been ground down on one side to balance the system, that means it was balanced as an assembly and orientation is critical. If the wheels are ground then they are probably individually balanced and assembly orientation is not critical..
Does that make sense?
JwS

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And idea what model the turbo is? so i know for ordering parts

You need a T3/T4 turbo kit. For reference the turbo is a T04B, and make sure you get a kit with a dynamic seal because that's what you need.

JwS, JwS, the hex on the turbine wheel cannot be removed. You will find in ANY turbo that it has been ground down for balance. The turbine wheel and shaft are all one piece, which is why it's so important to mark the shaft and compressor wheel before everything comes apart.

If you're talking about the nut on the compressor wheel, that's what I was saying when I mentioned that the nut should be zero balance on these turbos. On mine the nut was not ground down, meaning it was a "zero balance" and will not affect the balance.

I was told by someone awhile back that on turbos with a "zero balance" nut were balanced individually, and technically you could just put them back together however, but I tried that and it doesn't really work :p

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep that has what you need,

But, if the nut is ground down on yours, and you want to rebuild it yourself, you're probably best off doing the rebuild and sending it to someone for a rebalance.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Another happy customer of Ron's turbo Service. Rebuilt it myself and got the free balancing deal, he found the compressor wheel bad ( I suspected it ), sold me a new one at a very reasonable price ;Sweet All in all, I got off cheap, thing has been together a couple of years now, works great

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I meant the nut on the compressor side, I am sure it is true, but I had been told that if it is ground then it had been balanced as a unit. If I recall Ron balanced the assembly and had it marked for alignment..
JwS