What would you do?

Ethan Smith

Reaction score
So i went and picked up an f350 the guy said had a hypermax on it. I had the intention of pulling it off and using it on my 6.9 f250 which is low in compression but bulletproof otherwise.
Well when i picked it up holy cow, all cylinders are running at 400+ psi except one thats dead from a burnt valve or shot rings or whatnot. Its a suuuuhweet potential work truck with airbags in the rear, theyre prolly shot from sitting though.
So my question is this i guess, my f250 is so low on comp that i reckon itd run a new turbo no prob so long as i monitor egts, but this newer engine somebody obviously took the time to build the whole truck up and it seems a waste to undo thier work.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd look at fixing the new one and down the road building up the 6.9 to have fun with

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
On the new engine find the bad cylinder and fix it. Might be a rocker bolt backed off or a bent pushrod.Valves usually do not burn in these engines.

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time to play Inspector Clouseau. It a good sign that a the cylinder are carrying 400psi most likely bad valve or bent push rod. I would get busy. Good luck

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd pull the valve cover first off. Check for bent pushrods etc.

If everything looks OK, might just run it for a bit, get it warm, see if it clears up - might just be a bit of carbon or something, if it's been sitting for a while.

Ethan Smith

Reaction score
So i pulled the valve covers, no luck there, no bent rod and everythings rocking like it should no pun intended. Theres a knock tgat comes and goes thats definetly from that cylinder, i did a leakdown and got air out of the oil filler hole :fan:, so dang. Im gonna play the denial card and swap injectors on it and pretend everythings ok:cry:
id rip it open and fix the real issue but i aint got a covered shop to work in :drunk: Wish me luck cause i love my otger 6.9 but its gutless and needs a full on rebuild but i gotta rebuild the c6 for it first:frustrate Hey on the bright side i got my work lined up for me! :number2

Ethan Smith

Reaction score
Well heck!! I swapped out the number eiggt injector, its still making a lotta blow by but the turbo works great! Was getting a little over 5psi rolling down the freeway. It knocks when i put it under load when im coming off a dead stop, and i gotta turn the running lights on when i stop so the policeman thinks ive got working brake lights :bail Other than that shes an oilburner for surrr!
anybody got any idea why its knocking only under load? I reckon the rings are shot

Ethan Smith

Reaction score
Well im from springfield, and when they hire onto the force here they just pass applications out at the bars. Found the melted wire causing it today though! Now i just gotta figure out where the knock is coming from

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Knock can come from low oil level, but usually goes away at speed. Also from worn wrist pin or rod bearings. A rattling or slapping sound would be worn piston and /or shot rings. Knock is a bad sound if it does not clear up with speed.