What would you check

Team Dirt

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I just picked up this 85 6.9 that was supposedly rebuilt for a truck 15 years ago and then never got used. It’s been stored in the back corner of a garage and now the guy that had it’s moving and sold it to me for 350$. It’s got fresh oil in it and looks real good. I’m swapping out my engine in my 83. I have a bad head gasket and when I saw this it only made sense to buy. I want to make sure before I put it in the truck I check anything that could cause me issues from sitting all them years. I know my current fuel system is solid as I just had pump rebuilt and injectors tested so mainly engine related stuff I’m concerned about.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I'm no expert, but I'd pull the valve covers and glow plugs and make sure everything moves like it should while you turn it over. As long as it doesn't look rusty in there and spins over fine I wouldn't worry too much.

It doesn't take much to run one of these, if you're worried about it you can fire it up before you pull your engine so you know it runs good.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice score!

I'd also check the area around the block heater for fishers/cracks.
I learned that the hard way.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could also think about upgrading the rocker arms to the 7.3 style. You could get lucky and find out that the guy who rebuilt it already did the upgrade (fingers crossed for you).

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
For what it's worth, here's my take/example. My Ex Wife truck has been sitting for 18 years. Next month, I'm going to get started on her. I'm going to pull the engine to look inside. Since it's been sitting for so long, I feel that the bearings are bone dry so I'm only going to turn the engine over enough to remove the torque convertor nuts. I'm going to pull the cam and crank out while I'm in there. This will let me lube the bearings and it will also let me check the valve clearances to see if I can run my Typ4 cam. I'm going to stud the block while I'm at it. After I pull the heads, I'm going to spray some PB Blaster in the cylinders before turning the engine over. This will help to lube the rings. At least that's my way of thinking. Now if yours was assembled, never run at all, and set aside, then the assembly lube should still be on the bearings. Mine was run so it was only oil on the bearings. This is just what I'm going to do. You may want to do this much or not. It's up to you.

Team Dirt

Reaction score
For what it's worth, here's my take/example. My Ex Wife truck has been sitting for 18 years. Next month, I'm going to get started on her. I'm going to pull the engine to look inside. Since it's been sitting for so long, I feel that the bearings are bone dry so I'm only going to turn the engine over enough to remove the torque convertor nuts. I'm going to pull the cam and crank out while I'm in there. This will let me lube the bearings and it will also let me check the valve clearances to see if I can run my Typ4 cam. I'm going to stud the block while I'm at it. After I pull the heads, I'm going to spray some PB Blaster in the cylinders before turning the engine over. This will help to lube the rings. At least that's my way of thinking. Now if yours was assembled, never run at all, and set aside, then the assembly lube should still be on the bearings. Mine was run so it was only oil on the bearings. This is just what I'm going to do. You may want to do this much or not. It's up to you.
I pulled the starter out of my engine tonight and am going to crank it over and check to see if it makes a bit of oil pressure and check compression. Should a guy pour a bit of oil down the glow plugs before cranking? This is only my bush/sled hauling rig so I’m not looking for big power increases. Truck really hardly ever leaves 3rd (all gear we call it) I was pretty stoked to find this engine ready to go like this and only a little over an hour from home. Funny how things always seem to work out in the end.

i can’t wait to get this rig back in the go. Love this old truck!!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you put any oil in the cylinders I would bar it over by hand with the glow plugs removed before trying to start it. Would be good to lubricate the cylinders but it doesn't take much to hydrolock these engines and ruin them. If you bar it over by hand with no glow plugs you'll push any excess out the glow plug holes.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Make sure you intake is not full of 15 years of dust.

Second some oil in each cylinder turned over by hand. When put back in run starter with glow plugs out. Then install and run.

Change oil.

Change fuel filter.

Second new thermostat.

Second new rear main seal. Why pull the tranny later?

If she runs you stole it for $350!

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I would bar the engine over by hand first to make sure there is no catch (like one of the cylinders got water in it and built up rust).

If you are going to spin it over to build oil pressure I would pull the glow plugs. This would take the compression load off the bearings while they get lubed up. After the engine builds oil pressure you should be fine to plug them back in and try it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online