What to do with this truck?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The plan for this motor is more HP but nothing crazy, I really don't need it in my life. I'm thinking ARP head studs, springs maybe new rockers. R&D turbo kit 3in piping all around. Pump and injectors.
Not enough power to need a intercooler. More power/fuel economy/ reliability is the name of the game.
Could anyone tell me what type of power to expect in doing what I mentioned above?
I don't need lots of power but i sure do like seeing the black stuff in the review mirror every so often lol.
It really depends on what pump and injectors you select. It would be best to talk to Justin about that. He'd be the one with the best answer. An intercooler is a good idea no matter what power levels you're running. It's your decision, but that is one thing that I consider to be almost a "must" with a turbo.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really depends on what pump and injectors you select. It would be best to talk to Justin about that. He'd be the one with the best answer. An intercooler is a good idea no matter what power levels you're running. It's your decision, but that is one thing that I consider to be almost a "must" with a turbo.
I'll keep it in mind.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It will help with EGTs even empty if you go up long, steep hills. Since you're from Pennsylvania, I'll bet that you can find longer and steeper hills than I can in Kansas. Maybe that depends on which part you're from too.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes i live in the Allegheny mountains, always going up a hill. I got time to think it over, I would definitely like to do it. Was just think about cost.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The cost is easily justified for an intercooler. If you can find a used one for a 7.3 PSD or a 6.0, it will help to keep the cost down.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 charge air cooling, it will add a significant power increase to anything you do with turbo or fuel even at low power levels. At higher levels the cooler will be responsible for up to 50% of the horsepower increase!!! Gale Banks taught me that in his you tube series Killing a Duramax. Pretty wild.

Anywho don't forget @Thewespaul has just about all the same upgrades Justin has and is a contributing member to all of us here to boot. Faster turn around time too!

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well ok then ill add it to the list, i knew i wanted one but wasn't sure it be worth it. When i installed my Mishimoto the difference was huge, so i can only imagine a intercooler.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something to note about the Banks testing, the intercooler is adding about 50% VE to the engine, but its also a 3000hp water to air intercooler that can take 300+ degree inlet temps and drop it down below 50* without trying since its linked into the 1000+ gallon water reservoir for the dyno's hydraulic brake. No air to air intercooler is going to add that much efficiency, and a water to air intercooler would have to be iced down to get close, so although in his testing hes trying to show just how much an intercooler can add, its not really directly applicable to a real world scenario where the intercooler is limited to the size of the water reservoir or the incoming outside temp. That being said, an intercooler is a great upgrade and anyone planning on doing some towing its going to really help with egt control and keeping the engine cool.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something to note about the Banks testing....

And I would like to note:
+1 charge air cooling, it will add a significant power increase to anything you do with turbo or fuel even at low power levels. At extraordinary power levels in a limitless water-cooled dyno room with almost zero real world applicability the charge air cooler will be responsible for up to 50% of the horsepower increase!!! Gale Banks taught me that in his you tube series Killing a Duramax. Pretty wild.
I fixed it. :D :rotflmao

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha... Im just glad its getting people and manufacturers to think about their intake placement and intercooling design. Theres a reason why any diesel with over 200 hp gets an intercooler now a days.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
When i installed my Mishimoto the difference was huge, so i can only imagine a intercooler.
These two are barely related. The radiator is for engine temperature, while the intercooler is for the intake air temperature. The two will affect the other one a slight bit, but they're basically completely seperate systems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online