What order should I upgrade...

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used a pick and a razor blade to pull apart the olives I wouldnt burn them out, I don't remember how the return spring is exactly set but I had to mess with it in a few different positions but I'm sure someone will hook you up with a good picture.

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Them olives can be a PITA. Just keep stabbing with a pick and working at it. Took me 20min to get one out before. But got it

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I spent 20min and didn't get anywhere lol!

Of course, half of my tools are packed so I was using a small screwdriver...

As long as the o-ring holds until after we move and unpack I'll be happy.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can always upgrade to braided stainless line if you buy the correct fittings

I thought about that. I know R&D has the push-loc setup on his site for about $30 and I think Mel sells them too but the braided is about twice the price of the rubber hose. And the rubber hose is 4 times the price of new olives lol

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can order the fitting from http://www.mcmaster.com/ I believe the fitting is 1/2x20 fine thread. You can adapt from that to a -6 braided line or go with a barb fitting and just use regular rubber hose

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So are you still N/A then? How heavy do you haul?

I'm hoping to get a camper eventually and it'd be a real chore the way she is now!

I'm towing a 8500# 30ft. travel trailer behind a 209000 original mile 1990 7.3 F-250 on my way to the Catskills from South Florida right now. It holds 60--65mph for the most part. 45 in 2nd on the steepest part of Fancy Gap pass in VA. Trucks loaded down too, plus 75 gal of fuel. It's do able. I want a turbo...

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm towing a 8500# 30ft. travel trailer behind a 209000 original mile 1990 7.3 F-250 on my way to the Catskills from South Florida right now. It holds 60--65mph for the most part. 45 in 2nd on the steepest part of Fancy Gap pass in VA. Trucks loaded down too, plus 75 gal of fuel. It's do able. I want a turbo...

And being a 250 you probably have 3.55's in the rear too huh.

I could probably do the 45mph in 2nd right now but I don't think with 9000# I could get to 65 as she sits now. I'm gonna say definitely time for injectors and timing for me.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I believe that by 1990, they all had 4.10's. they had the overdrive transmissions. At least I don't remember ever seeing one that new with the 3.55's.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had 3:73's in my '92 F-350 4X4. That was a great advancement in gearing, as most everything had 4:10's or lower.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@IDIBRONCO

So I saw your post in another thread that said you ran a @typ4 cam in your NA 6.9 and rather than clutter up his thread I figured I'd ask in mine.

What did you think of it? Did you lose any low end? I was under the impression they were designed more for the Turbo'd IDIs as far as like bleeding some compression to better utilize the available boost?

After other required NA maintenance updates on my truck (pump and injectors), would you recommend it?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I didn't get to have a lot of experience with it because I was stupid and used another pair of heads instead of the ones that were already on my engine. I ported them and then put them on my engine. I didn't think about the miles on the heads and had a valve go out after 4 miles. I couldn't tell any low end power loss, but I was on the throttle kind of hard to use the new power. Typ4's cams were "torquer" cams designed more for lower rpms while Justin's (idiperformance) are designed more for higher rpms. I'm not sure if there's that much difference since low and high rpms on our engines is relative. Would I recommend it? HELL YES! Now the bad news. The last I knew, Russ (Typ4) was considering not making any more. I certainly hope he does. It was a great product, and will be again when I install it in my 7.3 which I keep threatening to pull out of my truck and go through to seal up the oil leaks. If Russ does decide to quit the cam business, you can still use Justin's. As far as I know, he's still making his. Just like the turbo saying, any performance cam is better than a stock one. I'm not sure if it makes a big difference on a n/a engine, but I'm also running a Moose Jr. pump.By the way, be sure to check your valve recession before installing a bigger cam. This is important!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online