What order should I upgrade...

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So after hauling a car for my buddy and having a hard time holding 55 on relatively flat ground, I am thinking about tax season already lol.

I have almost 200k miles on my 91. Injectors look original, pump is not original to the truck but I don't have a clue how old it is.

Should the turbo come first or the pump and injectors?

I'm thinking I should do the pump first and see how it feels, but there's a different calibration for the turbo pump than the NA so ??

I definitely need to get it timed in the meantime...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd start with fuel first.

Like you said, timing is important.

Then Turbo.

Question is..... which IP?

If you know you are going to turbo the rig, an IP specifically calibrated for a turbo would be better. So getting a turbo calibrated IP may make your NA rig smoke excessively and give undesirable EGT's until you get a turbo. So what would you do? Turbo IP and suffer through until the you get forced induction, or regular IP and leave some performance on the table when you have boost?

Heath

Last edited:

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
I think my pu has a stock ip and has enough power with the fuel turned up to haul stuff. Heres what id do: stock ip. Leave it be until turbo time and gauges. A stock ip with a turbo and fuel screw turned up will run pretty good. Wont be king of the dyno, but its usable by todays standards.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would do some basic mods first while you're saving. Do your own intake, straight pipe the exhaust or add a straight though muffler and turning up the IP (Get pyro first!!!). By turboing your truck you will be much happier if you have a built pump but you will need head studs to do so reliably. I would do the basic mods first, then turbo, then heads studs and fuel system.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've gotta say it's kinda funny. I got almost three different answers lol!

@hesutton I was "thinking" I heard the main difference between the pumps is the max volume, just the turbo pump has a little different fueling curve. If that's right I was thinking maybe a turbo pump turned DOWN until egt's and smoke are in check?

@Thewespaul Yeah I'm hoping to score a 4" take off from a newer truck at an exhaust shop.

My issue with the fuel system right now is that it's most likely worn out. I wouldn't worry about it if I didn't think the injectors had 200k on them. I would just turbo first without thinking about it. I'm more worried about the pump eventually giving up or injectors starting to give out.

My plan at this point is:
Timing meter
Pyrometer
Exhaust
Intake

I feel like I should do injectors and pump before the turbo but I don't want to leave a LOT on the table if I should do the turbo first.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can always pull the injectors and take them to a injector shop and have them pop tested to see how bad they are, if they trashed I would replace them at the least before doing the turbo

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I went with a Moose Jr. a couple of years ago. I turned the fuel down twice and still have to be careful about how much throttle I give it so I don't get a huge cloud of black smoke. I'd turn it back again, but am going to pull the engine out to reseal soon and the put a turbo on so I'm really not too worried about it. I just keep my foot out of it.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chances are you will need a new injection pump and injectors. Doing that alone will really wake up your truck. Get it properly timed as well.
I wouldn't waste your time getting original injectors pop tested.
You gotta ask yourself.....would your truck run without an injection system or a turbo?
Replace priority items first then upgrade performance after you have a healthy engine to work with.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys, a appreciate the input.

Chances are you will need a new injection pump and injectors. Doing that alone will really wake up your truck. Get it properly timed as well.
I wouldn't waste your time getting original injectors pop tested.
You gotta ask yourself.....would your truck run without an injection system or a turbo?
Replace priority items first then upgrade performance after you have a healthy engine to work with.

This is kinda the way I was leaning, I guess I just wanted a few second opinions. I really appreciate it!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be gearing up to do head gaskets, studs, turbo, IP and injectors at the same time.
seeing that IP and injectors all depend on what type of induction youre running.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be gearing up to do head gaskets, studs, turbo, IP and injectors at the same time.
seeing that IP and injectors all depend on what type of induction youre running.

I would love to but that won't happen. I just can't scrape up that much coin all at once. I'm not planning on boosting to the moon anyway, I just want something reasonably strong that can tow better than my Chevy 350 with 3.42 gears. Yeah, right now it's THAT bad. That's how I know it's out of whack.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
if your engine is as posted. My thoughts are the injectors are worn out. Pump probably is too. Get a new... Not rebuilt set of injectors. Just do not purchase the turbo G codes. Myself and many others have proven they are not as good as a set of Delphi B codes. For the BEST injector contact either Mel at Conestoga Diesel in Pa or Russ aka typ4 on this site for injectors. Both of these forum members have supported the idi community for many years and no problems...Ever. Can't say that about any other injector supplier on ebay. Buy cheap and you get cheap. Read the Hall Of Shame forum for the terrible places never to buy from.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have nothing against Mel or Russ and I really don't want any bad juju on here but R&D sells what sounds like a very good set of stock spec pop tested rebuilt injectors with new nozzles for $275. I have a very hard time spending half a paycheck more for a different set, especially since everything I've read says I better get a new pump too so it doesn't fail with the new injectors. I'm sure Mel and Russ do have excellent products, but $300 is a lot of money. I'm not shooting for the BEST, I need decent and cheap.

I realize R&D has a bad rap around here and really really don't want to open that can of worms. I would go with Mel if there wasn't such a price difference. He's only 6hrs away from me.

That all being said, does anyone have any experience good or bad with the injectors that R&D sells?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a set of injectors from Russ, they perform excellent!

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have r and d stage1 injectors I would recommend them, run smooth added a little power, I'm sure his stock type run just as good but I haven't used them myself. Also have a 90cc pump from r and d as well truck Is running excellent! Called him he answered all my questions sometimes he is a little overwhelmed with orders he's just a one man show I believe and it took a couple calls to get ahold of him but usually picks up. As far as I know i haven't heard complaints about his parts. @Macrobb is also using his pump and I belive injectors as well with no problems that I know putting out good numbers as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight