What new radiator to buy?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Hm, this is interesting. I looked up radiator recore Arizona and this company came up. I looked under copper/brass core for 23" tall and this was part of the results. Look at the first one below. That's pretty darn close to the IDI radiator, of not it exactly? Even says Ford Truck.

edit: oops it's about 3 inches less wide but pretty darn close

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck came with a champion 3 core when I bought it. The previous owner said he didn’t put it in, so it’s been in the truck for 6+ years. I don’t tow heavy, but it has worked fine for me and I would buy another if it broke. (Unless it broke in some way that would give me an excuse to buy a tig welder!)

M Galen

Reaction score
I recently installed a champion aluminum radiator in my 86 F250 6.9/c6. only thing I consistently heard was don't run extended life antifreeze and change every 3-5 yrs. as far as performance, I couldn't be happier with it I consistently am stripping 80 degrees or more from hot out to cool in lower tank stays luke warm and gauge doesn't move pulling or sitting I cant recall if it was a 3 or 4 core I went with but it said it was good to 600hp. little side note run the factory ford thermostats they are 192 degree I believe but so much more reliable than most aftermarket one and aftermarket ones usually have a bleed hole which at least the 6.9 doesn't need

papadiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
American radiator sells a all aluminum look alike to our brass ones I’ve had it in for four years with zero problems, The cost was around 350

Cracker

Reaction score
I put a three core Champion in 9 years ago and have had zero issues until two weeks ago I was taking the fan off the clutch and the wrench hit the rad and busted a tube. Call Champion and $320 later and 4days shipped FedEx I had a new 3 core. Champion claims they are good to 800hp.

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put in a Champion 4 row iirc. Def runs a little hotter. Pulled my dump trailer yesterday and noticed that. But you really have no options left. Mishi or Champion.
You noticed a temp increase? This is why I'm leery of installing an aluminum. I found a oem copper replica, thinking of going that route. Called champion they don't have any 4 rows instock, only 3. I do alot of heavy towing and don't want to downgrade radiators. The copper 4 row does pretty good now even though I do see the temp gauge move in the hills. I have no desire to install anything from china or plastic tanks. Rather spend $1,000 with dubz

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the local"Mac's Radiator Service" with a brass'copper unit around $650 a few years ago.
Rockauto was $50 cheaper but I figured if any problems arose, the local dealer would be easier to contend with.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
@Noiseydiesel I had them quote me one out of their Beaverton store a month or so ago, $1200. Dang inflation.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something, but why add a ground strap to the radiator? The frame, body all should be well grounded already...

Rodney red use to be heavily recommended here if you had a fat wallet. Was 1000+++, otherwise junkyard, retrofit something else, or get those cheap ass aluminum guys from champion/china

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Grounding the radiator helps prevent electrolysis. Even semi's radiators come with a riveted on ground strap.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7 years on this aluminum/plastic and so far so good.
(I had the original brass/copper but only one shop in Philly area would re-core it and the price was crazy $$$$$$$ expensive with only a one year warranty.
I also have the same in my 81 Corvette for a couple years and so far so good.(a ***** to change)
Scrapped the two brass/copper rads with a small bucket of copper and put over $150 in my pocket.
WOW... price below has gone-up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online