what is the ideal ip timing to have advanced or retarted (hahaha)

cheap bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello all,

what is the ideal ip timing to have, the factory mark, advanced (half the width of a nickle), or retarded (half the width of a nickle), i know the ideal timing is to set the timing with a meter, but i dont have one. Im trying to figure out why i cant get better fuel milage than 11mpg (7.3 factory turbo) installed in a 1988 bronco w/E40D. New rebuilt ip pump, new rebuilt G code injectors, new fuel filter, Carter electric pump, so im stumped. i will be installing a pyro and boost guage within 2 weeks. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance and God Bless.

Reaction score
Get a hold of Gary (icanfixall) and rent the timing equipment from him. Best $70 you'll ever spend.

Factory spec is 8.5 BTDC.

Mike

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x3.
trucks starts and runs better, lower egt by about 100.
Have a hard time crossing 900 unloaded.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All the above is true. I'm happy I was able to assist these members in fixing their rigs. My rental program reaches out to help those that want it.8.5 before is factory but many are finding 9.5 gives a much better mileage and ph feel because the fuel we have to use these days is below what our engines were designed to run on. I have one meter available at this time. Anyone interested PM message me for more simple details how to use it..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online