What is my truck worth?

hoobaleenyo

Reaction score
Family is getting bigger so myself might be selling my beautiful truck. It's just the normal bench 3 seater, our family is now 4 people so we are thinking of getting rid of it. It's a 1983, manual, f250 4x4 6.9l mint condition with 83'600km(51'946 miles) Brand new toyo m55, with hypermax cowl induction, 3 inch y pipe, 3 inch straight piped exhaust, pyrometer, 7.3 rocker arms, new full brake system(brake booster,master cylinder, brake pads(front and back discs) vacuum pump and all lines replaced) fuel injector lines brand new, caps and orings. Also have a spare brand new clutch and arp headstud kit not installed. What do you guys think my truck is worth? Myself was told barely anything at all, a couple thousand if that. The paint is original

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on your area a lot, do you have any more pictures? Looks like I nice truck.

hoobaleenyo

Reaction score
we live in Canada and myself only took those pics to show people the truck to see what it's worth.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice truck. As far as price goes, it really depends on where your at. Seems to vary quite a bit depending on the state and how close you are to the rust belt.
It’s also hard to believe a 35 year old truck has 51k on it. Too bad these trucks don’t have 6 digit odometers on them. I bet it’s rolled over once or twice unless your sure it hasn’t.
Overall, I’m thinking around $4-5k on the higher end IMO.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my $0.02

4wd or 2wd?

Assuming it really is mint and nicely optioned with 95% of those options working; 4wd $6-8k, 2wd $3-5k (CAD)

I'd be careful about claiming rust free status. I've yet to see anything in canada that qualifies as rust free. If there are any defects on the truck, be sure to show them in the ad rather than hide them. Someone looking for a cherry will be willing to wait for the right one. If he thinks you're hiding something, you can expect lost interest or at best, a low-baller. As for the low miles, look at the brake pedal. If it's worn through, then the odometer has most certainly rolled over at least once.

This might seem extreme, but look at this ad for an example:

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/ctd/d/1962-jaguar-type-series/6490444935.html

Photos show most everything on the car that a prospective buyer would be interested in. Note the good lighting, the controlled backdrop and the attention to detail on everything from the fenders to the gauges. It's pure eye candy. I would even remove the camper and set it aside because it doesn't look clean compared to the truck. An empty truck shows potential, while a loaded truck shows a possible "project".

If you want to pitch the truck as a classic that is collector plates ready, then you need to make it look like one. Clean it up very well. Clean up the interior AND the engine bay, then include clear photos. Show photos of all the rust prone areas to prove how clean they are. Don't try to hide any flaws because someone looking for an 80-86 ford will know exactly where to look. It might seem like a lot of work, but if you can get an extra $1000 when you sell it, would your extra time not be worth it?

Right now, prices on these trucks are still bottomed out, but cherry original ones are starting to move. I've been really surprised to see some on the lower mainland in the 7-8k range in the last few years. And they usually don't stay up for long. Other ads that have poor angles and few photos can sometimes spend more than a year on craigslist.

It would have been better if the truck was 4wd, but even a 2wd that is very clean could fetch up to $5000. Unfortunately, there are still plenty of decent (not perfect) IDI's to choose from that are 2wd. They're just so terrible on snow that many really did get parked in the winter and spared the salt. Not VERY many, but certainly more than the 4wds.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post, but here's another good example on how to post a good ad:

https://abbotsford.craigslist.ca/cto/d/1986-ford-explorer-pu-one/6467282818.html

I'm not sure this particular truck is worth $7500, but the attention to detail in the photos doesn't hurt.
Note how the driver's side seat corner is shown in the frame. This is the part that always wears out first, and the seller knows this. Same for the foot pedals being clearly visible. And why include a photo on a hoist? Again, more subliminal messaging that this is a well cared for vehicle.

Many photos were taken next to other "real" collector vehicles. Does this truck really sleep indoors with the royalty? I doubt it, but the seller wants us to think it is. It's entirely possible that this truck will sell in the 6500 range if the seller is prepared to wait long enough.

Last edited:

hoobaleenyo

Reaction score
My truck is 4wd, the camper is a 72 and the inside is mint just like my truck. The outside of the camper isn't so nice but myself was a prospector and used it a lot. The Km are original and it has not gone over once. It was bought from the original owner who never used it. My father in law was the buyer and he also only used it in the summer for camping. He gave it to us 6 years ago with the camper as a gift because we loved camping and myself being a prospector. He gave it to me at 65'000km, now has 83'600km on it. The two pictures were just me posting so anyone could give me a ball park on what to sell it for. There is a little rust underneath the truck which is nothing for 35 years as it was barley driven,no bad rust problems like most. It has power windows(would rather of had manual windows), air conditioning which works but myself took the ac unit, belt and cooler out to free up more power and less strain on the engine, still have all the parts of course,. There is no rust on the exterior and it's the original paint. There is service records from the original owner but they were just written with pen on the original manual which is still intact along with the 4x4 manual. Then engine is clean and drives great, the truck hasn't ever had problems and when myself used it for prospecting, miles and miles in the bush with no cell service or man around and she always has gotten me home safe. If myself didn't have to get rid of it myself would be keeping it. The only problem is the heater core finally just started to leak, myself does all the work on the truck and will fix that of course if it is being sold. Very easy to work on these vehicles or any for that matter, most people would rather pay someone else to fix their vehicle. Not me!

Last edited:

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya it depends on where you live. I bought mine 5 yrs ago. Had 59000 miles, bigger cab,lariat,4x4,perfect paint and interior,cruise and AC works etc. I paid $3100 for it and I think I overpaid by about $500

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't live in the rust belt but any rust I see is a no go. If I was looking at. 5000 idi it would have to be obs mint less 100k crew cab. I've seen single cab idi trucks very good condition actually 0 rust sell for 1000-1500 all day 2500-3500 is a decent extended cab 3500-9000 for excellent crew cabs obs usually goes for higher then brick nose then Bull nose