what is needed for a disc brake conversion on a sterling 10.25 axle?

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello everyone, so i need to replace the rear brake shoes at somepoint soon on my truck, i was thinking about swaping it over to rear disc brakes cause if i have to replace it i might aswell upgrade it at the same time. 1 i know i need a different brake master cylinder and the brake rotors and pads, what else will i need? 2 could i get all the parts off of a junkyard truck and swap them onto my drum brake axle without it being rocket science?
3 will the parking brake still work, truck is manual so parking brake is important. 4 is the results worth the effort? i know with junkyard parts it will be cheaper but will converting it acually improve the stopping power, i dont want to finish it up only to have it be slightly better than what brand new brake shoes would be

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s a good read on converting to read disks using E350 van parts.

Do a search on rear disk coversion, lots more info on various sources but imnso this is the best way to get rear disks. I will also state that everybody who does hydro boost brakes says that is the best use of time and money I regards to upgrading brakes. Might consider hydro boost over rear disks.

Again, the opinion of one individual so take that with a grain of salt.

http://www.fordmann.com/F350.rear_disc_brakes.htm#F-350_rear_disc Top of Page

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope you also read my posting.
Lugnut4X4.com might be your friend.
My dually with all the up-grades is about a $770 kit

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I just paid 400 for a sterling 10.5 out of a 2003 sd truck and it was already disk. Been several years ago and still love it. Had to fiddle with the bracket that the main parking brake hooks to before it splits to both sides, but other than that and new metal brake lines(mine were shot) it was direct plug and play. But the hydro boost may be just as good. Idk. Only reason I didn't take that route was every time I'm at a stop sign or light in a hydro boost truck the steering wheel fights me trying to turn untill I let off the brake pedal. But you may not encounter that issue with the hydro boost. Idk.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Here’s a good read on converting to read disks using E350 van parts.

http://www.fordmann.com/F350.rear_disc_brakes.htm#F-350_rear_disc Top of Page

I like this write-up. I've since discovered the 'unique' disc brake flange is used on many other disc Dana diffs including Dodge and dually E350s.

Hydrobost upgrade also needs a different P/S reservoir. Not enough return ports on the stock set up.

I tee'd the return lines together on my F350. No issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online