What do I do???

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok this morning at 4:30 a cop rang our doorbell and told me that someone hit my truck, but that the person called himself in. He told us who the guy was and we dont have a clue of what to do. (I'll explain)

About a year ago I was late to school and smoked the tires ('65 chevy) around a corner, and this guy lives on that corner, and he got pissed for some odd reason. After school, hes waiting for me at my truck and gives me a letter, it was one of five letters I would eventually recieve. He is a very confused citizen, and retired marine of the U.s. and wrote about how me and every other teenager shouldnt be allowed to drive for this reason, how I was poor because of the truck I drove, and many other things. Well this pissed me and my and my whole family off. things got more complicated and some stuff happened that Id rather not mention, but i thought it was finally over when he tried to take to us to court (didnt happen). Well yesterday I was drivin home from work and he was backin out of his driveway, I thought what the hell, And gave him a puff of smoke. Well he followed me and took him round and round in a neighbor hood and eventually ended at my house. My dad came out side and I am glad the guy left cause I thought my dad was gonnna drop the guy. So I dont know why exactly he hit my truck, the damage isnt horrible, BUT STILL!!

The guy carries a gun and is suffering from shellshock we think from the war, what the hell should I do???

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
First off, quit pushing his buttons. The guy is apparently in a sad state to begin with, it is like teasing a little kid. If he causes problems, you can go to the police, but it seems you are provoking him. The cops look dimly on that.

My advice to you is to do nothing about him, just fix the truck and go about your business. He feels guilty enough already (that is why he turned himself in), this could bring him around if you do not press charges. A marine is a good friend to have.

Bill-W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I agree if would be fun to provoke him more, (I always did when I was younger) and he might even deserve it, if you continue to it will work out bad for you. I had a similar situation a few years ago with my next door neighbor, I finally took the high road, talked and worked with him it resulted in us being good friends today where we will do anything for each other. He ended up being a real nice guy and now I always have a helping hand when my wife thinks I am crazy and won't help. Of course he does to also.

You might not have the same results I had but even if you don't you will know you did the "right" thing and were the better man.

Never know he might be a cool dude, just try and talk to him, be non confrontational and you might just be surprises if and when he lets his guard down just a little.

Knuckledragger is right a Marine, and most retired military, is a good friend to have. Remember he served so that you have the right to do as you please.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my $14 worth (adjusted for inflation) would be to either avoid him, or apologize to him about the smoke and tell him not to worry about the dents. You knew that you were gonna **** him off with the smoke but you did it anyway, so your not helping the situation much. I personally think apologizing to him about the smoke and telling him not to worry about the dents would be good. Also i would try to make amends with him. Remember he was ready to sacrifice himself for your freedom.

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont push those buttons. Its not worth it. Same situation when I was about 16 come to find out the guy had done time for manslaughter... walk away from that situation.

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just quit bein a kid..:rotflmao (yea right)...

growin up the way I did (read crasy shell-shocked father)...I NEVER **** in my own back yard...in other words...dont cause trouble where ya live...

now Im older...but I still like to hot-rod..and I listen to loud boomin radios...and Ive had several vehicles broken into and the guts stripped...I finnaly realized it was probably someone who heard me come in..and knew I wasnt gonna be up at 3am...

so I started turnin the radio down before I get near where im goin..and didnt come tearin around the corners..and I havent had a system taken since..and the neighbors dont grab their children and run for the house when they see me comin..:rotflmao

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
i am suddenly reminded of gran torino

but seriously, not worth the time or effort of continuing to antagonize the guy. sounds like you are taking years off of one anothers' lives.

i would sincerely apologize, maybe you will get the same in return. probably wont be friends but at least you will be straight up with each other.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my grandfather had one simple rule when I was living with him.....
"never bring trouble home" and he meant it.
man up.
make peace with your neighbor.
if you're craving to be a ******** brat, don't ever let people you offend know where you sleep.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well I would try to make peace with the guy... Bit I would also hold him accountable for his actions a d make him fix the damage. If I were you I would do what I said in order otherwise tempers may flare

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leave the guy alone. Trust me, it could get a lot worse than him putting a dent in your truck. The man has killed people before, yes, in a war, but he has done it. He may decide you are a serious threat to himself or his property and take you out. I'm not trying to scare you, but you better not mess with a vet. Look at the 67 year old vet who beat the snot out an aggitating young man on a bus..... CLICK HERE..

Heath

Last edited:

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he did it, he's accountable. Make him pay to fix it, but leave his ass alone. All this vet crap is just that. Men are men respect him enough to leave him alone and ask he do the same.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
just go talk to him, I wouldn't say "hey, I need you to fix my truck"

go apologize for being a putz in the past, and ASK him if he would be willing to help you with the bodywork (as in doing it yourselves), since he feels bad about it, he'd probably be willing to, never know, you might end up having a good older friend, at least after it was fixed you'd have something to talk about when you see him in the future

I've been in the same sort of situation, I'm young, and I USED to be dumb about it, but I learned the hard way once, and once is enough

good luck no matter what you decide to do

JesterPgh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having bad neighbors is a bad situation. I have bad neighbors, but, alas, I'm the crazy vet. I've never had so many township officials at my house as I have since I've lived where I am now, and I've lived in some pretty bad places. Having said that; kids are going to be kids. Try not to antagonize the guy. He turned himself in, admitting his wrongs, but that doesn't make it right. How badly is your truck damaged? If it's a bent bumper, I'd suck it up. If the whole side of the truck is caved in, obtain the police report, and file it with insurance.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Putting the vet part aside, I think you should go over to his house and clear the air. The two sides to this story from what i gather is he thinks your a snot nose kid and you think hes a crazy old man. Go show him your not and you may (or may not) see hes not so crazy after all. Heck i'm 19 with a strait piped diesel but I am cautious in my neighbor hood, not only because i dont want to get reported but also I dont want to hit a kid or run over a dog.

Oh and if hes a marine hes a special breed. My favorite (fictional) marine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrPxkAF325g

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just go talk to him, I wouldn't say "hey, I need you to fix my truck"

go apologize for being a putz in the past, and ASK him if he would be willing to help you with the bodywork (as in doing it yourselves), since he feels bad about it, he'd probably be willing to, never know, you might end up having a good older friend, at least after it was fixed you'd have something to talk about when you see him in the future

I've been in the same sort of situation, I'm young, and I USED to be dumb about it, but I learned the hard way once, and once is enough

good luck no matter what you decide to do

+1

You have an obligation to apologize, but so does he.

I recently had to fight every prideful bone in my body so I didn't simply destroy my neighbor where he stood.

A few years ago he shot out my car window with his mower, lied to my face (seen it happen) - Dog craps on my lawn daily, he denies it (seen it happen, lots) - Then recently his dog bit one of my kids (got her THROUGH the picket fence, seen that one too) - lied to my face.

The other day I decided to chase his dog off and he became belligerent then claimed the dog was somehow justified in biting my daughter. I walked away, cooled off a bit - then knocked on his front door. Told him we should make peace, it was in both our interests to do so, else it would escalate into something we would both regret. Haven't had an issue yet, no more Labrador pies in my yard - and I haven't seen him patrol his yard since.

Extend the olive branch, if he remains an ass - make some calls to your LLEA