Wellman Glow Plugs?

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are super cheap AND made in the USA AND supposedly hotter/faster/better.... Anyone using these? There's a note at the bottom that states "Markets and boxes under the name Diesel Rx"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-7-3-7-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d7924491&vxp=mtr

I have Autolites in the truck I just bought and need new plugs bad... One is cracked, one is swollen, and one or two are just weird lookin' on the tips.... Need some feedback here.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The subject of glow plug brands has been well debated on this forum and most will tell you to stick with the Motorcraft (Beru) plugs. I will certainly tell you the same. I will only run Motorcraft plugs in my truck. If I were in a pinch and could not get Motorcrafts, I would run Bosch plugs, but they don't seem to heat as well as the Motorcrafts in my experience. I know some on here run Wellmans (also sold as Diesel Rx brand) and have had good luck with them. Unfortunately, I had a bad experience with Wellman plugs and will never buy them again. I bought a set because they advertise that they get hotter. Oh, they get hotter all right - the first cycle on the new plugs swelled one very badly and I barely was able to get it out of the head. Several other showed various amounts of swelling. Never again! So I have to give you a vote against Wellmans based on my personal experience. You results may vary and some will tell you they are fine.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The subject of glow plug brands has been well debated on this forum and most will tell you to stick with the Motorcraft (Beru) plugs. I will certainly tell you the same. I will only run Motorcraft plugs in my truck. If I were in a pinch and could not get Motorcrafts, I would run Bosch plugs, but they don't seem to heat as well as the Motorcrafts in my experience. I know some on here run Wellmans (also sold as Diesel Rx brand) and have had good luck with them. Unfortunately, I had a bad experience with Wellman plugs and will never buy them again. I bought a set because they advertise that they get hotter. Oh, they get hotter all right - the first cycle on the new plugs swelled one very badly and I barely was able to get it out of the head. Several other showed various amounts of swelling. Never again! So I have to give you a vote against Wellmans based on my personal experience. You results may vary and some will tell you they are fine.

Okay, thanks. I searched and didn't see any info on these particular plugs so I thought I would check. Figured too good to be true. I've been around a while and have read many debates on the gp's but didn't see much on them. Thanks for the help!

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem - it is like anything else though - personal experience seems to be the deciding factor. One thing I think everybody will agree on though - the Autolite plugs are garbage and may cause you to have to remove the heads because of swelling. Good deals on Motorcraft plugs do show up on eBay from time to time too.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem - it is like anything else though - personal experience seems to be the deciding factor. One thing I think everybody will agree on though - the Autolite plugs are garbage and may cause you to have to remove the heads because of swelling. Good deals on Motorcraft plugs do show up on eBay from time to time too.

Yeah, it was in my original post before I edited it out. PO has Autolites in my new truck... Pulled them to inspect and 1 is swollen, 3 are warped, a couple look cracked. Just ordered zd 9's on Ebay for $75 shipped. Best price I have seen for a while.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, 32k original on Air Force One? That's impressive. So you got the young engine AND a rust free body and frame? Nice find, brother!

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, 32k original on Air Force One? That's impressive. So you got the young engine AND a rust free body and frame? Nice find, brother!

Thanks, but I also paid for low miles and rust free when I bought it too. Air Force One now has 95,000 miles on it and is currently at the trans shop awaiting its new triple disk billet torque converter to be installed along with a shift kit.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but I also paid for low miles and rust free when I bought it too. Air Force One now has 95,000 miles on it and is currently at the trans shop awaiting its new triple disk billet torque converter to be installed along with a shift kit.

LOL copy that. Yeah, most of the time if you know it's valuable then the seller does too. Sounds like you will have a hauler once the tranny work is done. I got two limping around right now. Two IDI's and can't haul ****. I'm not happy. Hopefully the '89 will be kicking ass again soon but I miss the Crew Cab...