Wellman glow plugs

jseries

Reaction score
Guess this is the first post in this forum so I'm not expecting an overwhelming number of repies but somebodys gotta open the door I guess.
Anyway anyone have an experience using Wellman glow plugs? Thanks.

Max Power

Reaction score
Welcome, I'm looking forward to seeing some Ford boys over here. The Cummins crew are getting rowdy :D

Max Power

Reaction score
Originally posted by jseries
Thanks max, hopefully I won't be the only here :)
I hope not. I would love to see more of you here. Tell everyone! :)

kcyard

Reaction score
i haven't heard of them but moat guys swear by the motorcraft or beru brand glow plugs they are the same but go under 2 names hope this helps KC

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I went to Autozone and picked up the Motorcraft plugs for 8.99 ea.
They are not bad to change. Just becareful of the fuel return lines.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by trackspeeder
I went to Autozone and picked up the Motorcraft plugs for 8.99 ea.
They are not bad to change. Just becareful of the fuel return lines.

Those who know use Motorcraft/Beru plugs ONLY.

Others have a nasty habit of swelling, breaking, and leaving parts in the engine that damage pistons.

You will want to put high temperature (copper) anti-seize compound on the threads of the plugs before putting them in!!! IMPORTANT STEP!!!

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Until documented results are available, stick to the Motorcraft/Beru ZD-9. at around US$8 each and available at just about all parts houses.....

Chumpion, Atuoloite etc are just not worth the risk of catastropic failure.............ie: tip swelling to the point of seperation and piston damage/turbo damage/head damage.

The IDI has almost zero clearence at TDC so any FOD can pretty much ruin your day
:eek:

BTW due to the nickle alloy that Beru uses on the treaded body, never sieze isn't really nesc, HOWEVER dilectric grease on the electric connection IS preferred;)

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Ran wellman's once no problems other than one would keep burning out on number 2 cylinder (front drivers side), switched back over to Beru and same thing. I think I had something funky going on with the pop off in that clyinder to cause added stress to the glowplug - never had a swelled or broken wellman (they came installed in my reman long block). But I replaced them as they failed with Beru's because of my past history with Autolite's and Champions. My eating of number 2 glowplug stopped after getting new injectors so that is how I came to that conclusion.

I know that my local injection shop sells the wellman and that is what the shop owner runs in his private personal truck (which is an IDI by the way). He says they are good plugs but I know that I never had a beru treat me wrong so I just went back with them. I'm sort of brand loyal in that respect - not brand loyal on the rest of the truck but parts yeppers.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah... when it comes down to a $10 part that can destroy a $4000 (or more) engine, I am definitely brand loyal.

OkieTruckerD

A Diesel Nut
Reaction score
I currently have a set of wellman's my truck, they're okay, but I'd much rather have the motorcraft/beru's. The scary part will be removing these wellman's, and seeing what they look like. More details on this subject after getting another set of BD-9's